And we're back!

Main Menu

Darkest Dungeon

Started by Jacob, November 07, 2013, 10:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ah, thanks. I do hate d20. :P

Kleves

This looks pretty good. Probably will be the first early access game that I pick up. Are there any similar games out there that I should take a look at? I did really liked FTL, which seems somewhat similar. 
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Martinus

Quote from: Kleves on February 02, 2015, 01:11:40 PM
This looks pretty good. Probably will be the first early access game that I pick up. Are there any similar games out there that I should take a look at? I did really liked FTL, which seems somewhat similar.

There is a game for iPad which is based strictly on Warhammer FRPG but it gets a bit repetitive after a while.

Scipio

This game makes FTL its bitch. It is really the hardest single game I've played since I moved out of my parent's house 20 years ago to go to college.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Valmy

So I beat the first two bosses.  When I beat the second one, all four of my heroes were at Death's Door.  Crazy, as I had no idea what to expect. I went in at full health with low stress and full torchlight.  Then the beatdown began.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I desperately need a Vestal to make it past short missions but damn if I never get any.  I have gotten only two so far and one died at level zero in a freak occurrence.  The other is getting severely over-worked.  They really need another good healing class, or at least my stagecoach needs to stop failing me every week.

Of course maybe there are other good healing alternatives but my occultists and crusaders just do not cut it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 02, 2015, 12:59:32 AM
Regarding the group composition, from the playthroughs I have seen, it seems to me not only you have to pay attention to individual characters' phobias (e.g. don't send a ruin-phobe to ruins etc.), you also have to match their personalities somehow. For example, I got an impression that more scholarly characters (like Occultists) really get along badly with barbarians and the back-and-forth between them alone sends their stress levels through the roof.

Right now I am building synergies with the attacks.  I like laying on tons of low damage multi-target attacks with a healer of some sort in support.  Dealing with the phobias is hard and expensive and I generally only do so if I have no other options (like they have a debilitating disease or cannot use any of the stress reducing buildings).

Trying to keep the 'Wealdphobic' heroes out of the Weald is an advanced consideration for people who have large rosters of low stress heroes to choose from  :P.

Not there quite yet.

Grey Fox

I am not happy with the price point of this game :angry:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

What do you mean by price point in this context?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

My first mission ended with two heroes dead and two having a nervous breakdown.  :homestar:

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 03, 2015, 01:26:48 PM
My first mission ended with two heroes dead and two having a nervous breakdown.  :homestar:

The mechanics are not obvious and the tutorial info is not that great.  It takes awhile to learn how everything works.  I still have a ways to go.

Remember if things are starting to collapse to end the mission and limp back home.  At least then you get the loot you found.  Running away vs. trying one more room is an important piece of strategy :P

Martinus

I was essentially done in a single fight - my party was ambushed so everybody started in a wrong position. By the time the first fight finished, the crusader and the highwayman were dead, the plague doctor was suffering from selfish narcissism and the vestal had a phobia. :P

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 03, 2015, 01:59:04 PM
I was essentially done in a single fight - my party was ambushed so everybody started in a wrong position. By the time the first fight finished, the crusader and the highwayman were dead, the plague doctor was suffering from selfish narcissism and the vestal had a phobia. :P

:lol:

So much fun eh?  :wub: