News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Darkest Dungeon

Started by Jacob, November 07, 2013, 10:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

This game gets an early access release on Steam next week.  I love the look of it and the playthrough's on youtube look like it's going to be fun too. 

Martinus

Thanks for the heads up. It looks interesting.

PRC

Those who backed it on Kickstarter, which I see a few of you did, can access it now.

Habbaku

Only if you did the $20 tier.  $15 tier still has to wait until the 3rd.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Well so far so good.  I like the Cthulu inspired plot.  Seems easy and intuitive, at least early on since most options are locked.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

I watched some gameplay videos and was instantly sold on this. And now I also want to introduce insanity rules into my ongoing tabletop RPG campaign. :ph34r:

Valmy

Ok I played it just to try it and like 2 seconds later it was 2 AM and I had to go to bed.  Amazingly fun game, the challenge is a huge breathe of fresh air from most modern games.

It may not be very kindly balanced to the player so far, I had groups that were falling apart from nerves before we even fought a battle.  But that may just mean I need to understand how to play it better first, it is hard to tell when you first start playing a game.

Always bring plenty of food, torches, and at least one shovel if you know what is good for you.

Anyway I loved it, everybody should play this.  It is going to be a classic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

PRC

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2015, 04:31:22 PM
Ok I played it just to try it and like 2 seconds later it was 2 AM and I had to go to bed.  Amazingly fun game, the challenge is a huge breathe of fresh air from most modern games.

It may not be very kindly balanced to the player so far, I had groups that were falling apart from nerves before we even fought a battle.  But that may just mean I need to understand how to play it better first, it is hard to tell when you first start playing a game.

Always bring plenty of food, torches, and at least one shovel if you know what is good for you.

I'm wishing I backed it on kickstarter because I want to dive in right now.  Oh well, i'll be picking it up on the 3rd, glad to hear you're into it!

Scipio

It is so fucking difficult, it's like playing a game from the late 80s. It makes Wizardry VI look like a walk in the park.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Valmy

Quote from: Scipio on February 01, 2015, 10:18:34 PM
It is so fucking difficult, it's like playing a game from the late 80s. It makes Wizardry VI look like a walk in the park.

Wizardry IV still laughs at it though.

I am not sure if it is really this hard or if I just need to get used to the rules.  It is starting a little better in my second campaign attempt.

Martinus

Quote from: Solmyr on February 01, 2015, 09:55:02 AM
I watched some gameplay videos and was instantly sold on this. And now I also want to introduce insanity rules into my ongoing tabletop RPG campaign. :ph34r:

Or you could just play Warhammer FRPG (which, imho, is still the best "classic setting" fantasy rpg out there). They have it all, plus player characters can suddenly grow tentacles and extra eyes.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2015, 04:31:22 PM

I wonder what the replayability is going to be - but so far looks super cool. It also seems like an ideal game to be ported to iPad at some point.

Regarding the group composition, from the playthroughs I have seen, it seems to me not only you have to pay attention to individual characters' phobias (e.g. don't send a ruin-phobe to ruins etc.), you also have to match their personalities somehow. For example, I got an impression that more scholarly characters (like Occultists) really get along badly with barbarians and the back-and-forth between them alone sends their stress levels through the roof.

Solmyr

Quote from: Martinus on February 02, 2015, 12:56:35 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on February 01, 2015, 09:55:02 AM

Or you could just play Warhammer FRPG (which, imho, is still the best "classic setting" fantasy rpg out there). They have it all, plus player characters can suddenly grow tentacles and extra eyes.

I've played and ran WFRP plenty of times. Right now I'm running Conan RPG, which lends itself well to Lovecraftian horror.

Martinus

Oh, is this a new game system? I remember when I wanted to run a Conan game like 20 years ago but all I could find was a GURPS setting (which imo lacks that certain oomph of a game specifically designed with a setting in mind).

Solmyr

Not exactly new, it was a d20 OGL game published by Mongoose in the 2000's. Despite being d20 this is pretty well designed with Hyboria in mind. I've mostly just fixed some d20 quirks (like skill ranks and grappling rules) but otherwise playing the system as is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan:_The_Roleplaying_Game