News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Darkest Dungeon

Started by Jacob, November 07, 2013, 10:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

So far none of my heroes died after they reached level 1. I killed all the bosses and now working on getting the last ones to level 6. Presumably there will be an update eventually opening up the tougher areas. And I guess I'll have to see after official release if I really have been that lucky that I had no deaths or much stress.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on February 11, 2015, 10:15:37 AM
So far none of my heroes died after they reached level 1. I killed all the bosses and now working on getting the last ones to level 6. Presumably there will be an update eventually opening up the tougher areas. And I guess I'll have to see after official release if I really have been that lucky that I had no deaths or much stress.

It is all risk management.  Once you get he sense of what your heroes can do things go alright.

Really?  No deaths at all?  I usually get a couple (on separate runs though) the first time I move up in difficulty level.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

Nope, had four characters die in total, on runs when they were newly recruited (level 0). None after that. Had death's door once or twice on the swine boss, but the character was healed before he was hit again. I pretty much always bring a healer, though.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on February 11, 2015, 11:43:41 AM
Nope, had four characters die in total, on runs when they were newly recruited (level 0). None after that. Had death's door once or twice on the swine boss, but the character was healed before he was hit again. I pretty much always bring a healer, though.

When I beat the first Hag boss all my characters were at death's door when we won.  That was awesome.

Yeah I always have a vestal.  But every once in a while one of my squishies goes down on a big crit + bleeding.  Then they die before the healer can heal them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

PRC

Definitely still digging this game.  Have had seven or eight deaths, all of them level 1 or 0.  My level 2 and 3 guys have come close but i've always been able to pull through. 

When camping during a boss mission i've started to focus on taking the buffs instead of healing / destressing.  Those buffs are huge when facing the tough enemies.

Valmy

Yep.  Get those ACC buffs on your Highwaymen and Helions!

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2015, 11:44:49 AM
When I beat the first Hag boss all my characters were at death's door when we won.  That was awesome.

Yeah I always have a vestal.  But every once in a while one of my squishies goes down on a big crit + bleeding.  Then they die before the healer can heal them.

The thing is, with all characters now having 40 (the squishiest mage types) to 80 hp (crusaders and lepers), I have no squishies. At no point are monster crits big enough to take off 40 health at once, and your healer will get a turn before multiple monters hit one character.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on February 11, 2015, 12:06:10 PM
The thing is, with all characters now having 40 (the squishiest mage types) to 80 hp (crusaders and lepers), I have no squishies. At no point are monster crits big enough to take off 40 health at once, and your healer will get a turn before multiple monters hit one character.

Well the possibility exists that mistakes were made :P

Though at the time I very much thought they were freak occurrences unlikely to repeat, and the result of lots of bad luck over the whole run.  Also my highest level peeps are still only level 4.

PRC

One character combo i've tried with success is taking two highwaymen, each with point blank shot, in the front two ranks.  They take their shot and because they swap positions the second highwaymen then gets to take his shot.  Good for heavy damage.

Valmy

Man my A-Team beat the level 3 Hag again with everybody at deaths door.  It was awesome baby :wub:

I made some mistakes dropping needed supplies for loot.  That made the fight harder than it had to be.  On to level 3 Piggie!

Solmyr

How are you ending up at death's door? The Hag has like no health, she goes down in a few hard hits, and also does no damage by herself. Just make sure all your dudes have the range to attack her.

[spoiler]Also, you can leave one guy in the cauldron and not bother with it. The damage from the cauldron is quite low, and you can focus on the hag to kill her fast.[/spoiler]

It's also good to have your camp just before you fight a boss, so you can heal and buff up.

Valmy

I had already used my camp.  She just puts one dude in the cauldron after the other and I just keep attacking her until she dies.  The Cauldron does damage like five times a turn so it doesn't take long to spit out my dudes.  Piggie and the Necromancer are much smoother fights for me for some reason.

Solmyr

How much health do your dudes have? If it's around 40, they should be able to withstand a few turns in the cauldron while you kill the hag. They get freed automatically afterwards. Also, I think if they get to 0 while in the cauldron, they also get thrown out at death's door, so they don't die immediately. I.e. you can take a tanky type (crusader or leper) to soak up the cauldron damage while everyone else wails on the hag.

Swine has been the toughest for me because he can do insane damage on the marked people and takes a while to kill. Necromancer is just piss-easy since he does no damage by himself.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on February 12, 2015, 08:31:21 AM
How much health do your dudes have? If it's around 40, they should be able to withstand a few turns in the cauldron while you kill the hag. They get freed automatically afterwards. Also, I think if they get to 0 while in the cauldron, they also get thrown out at death's door, so they don't die immediately. I.e. you can take a tanky type (crusader or leper) to soak up the cauldron damage while everyone else wails on the hag.

Swine has been the toughest for me because he can do insane damage on the marked people and takes a while to kill. Necromancer is just piss-easy since he does no damage by himself.

My Crusader has a crap load of health.  Not sure why he got chewed up by the Cauldron so fast really.

Also, as I said, due to my greed for loots I was going into the fight pretty beat up already.

Solmyr

Well, that can affect things. :P I made a point to have a camp in the room before the boss, so I could go in healed and buffed.