Israel, duh
8 (33.3%)
Russia with their polonium fetish
6 (25%)
USA! USA!
1 (4.2%)
Someone in the PLO... who somehow had some polonium
2 (8.3%)
Nobody. He just ate some radioactive baba ghanoush.
7 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

DGuller

Quote from: Fate on November 09, 2013, 05:09:36 PM
They're still keeping Sharon alive? I always thought he died in 2006. Jesus christ. That's some fucked up shit.
It always shocked me how poorly cared for Sharon was before his major stroke.  This was the leader of the country, and yet his entourage was completely unprepared for a medical emergency and squandered vast amounts of valuable time when it was clear he was in trouble.  Now he's just alive enough that you can't pull the plug on him.

Siege

Old knews.

Fat Boi let Arraphag live, an we all peid the price.

I wus so happy..............................................................................................

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2013, 09:16:51 PM
Quote from: Fate on November 09, 2013, 05:09:36 PM
They're still keeping Sharon alive? I always thought he died in 2006. Jesus christ. That's some fucked up shit.
It always shocked me how poorly cared for Sharon was before his major stroke.  This was the leader of the country, and yet his entourage was completely unprepared for a medical emergency and squandered vast amounts of valuable time when it was clear he was in trouble.  Now he's just alive enough that you can't pull the plug on him.

Presumably Sharon is no longer around to object to treatment at the time. He doesn't seem to have been the kind of guy who listened to his doctor telling him to lose weight.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Seems like Sharon's the kind of guy who have killed Arafat in a much more obvious and explosive way if he wanted him dead (at that particular time).
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 11, 2013, 08:52:02 AM
Seems like Sharon's the kind of guy who have killed Arafat in a much more obvious and explosive way if he wanted him dead (at that particular time).

+1

He'd probably run his re-election campaign based on the slogan "Vote Arik, he killed Arafat"

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 11, 2013, 08:52:02 AM
He did try in 1982. As the article says Arafat estimated Sharon had tried to kill him 13 times. Sharon didn't give a number, but just said it had been the policy of Israeli governments for years.

We don't know. Arafat may have died of natural causes. He had numerous enemies who would want him dead. But it's not implausible that maybe Sharon succeeded at last.

As I say I can't work out the cui bono but I also can't think of many more determined and dogged enemies to have.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Sharon: the Cobra Commander of assainations.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 11, 2013, 09:13:40 AM
As I say I can't work out the cui bono but I also can't think of many more determined and dogged enemies to have.

I'm reasonably certain that pretty much everybody with any relation to mid east politics has wanted arafat dead at some time, with the exception of western pro-pals.

Viking

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 11, 2013, 09:15:12 AM
Sharon: the Cobra Commander of assainations.

Well, this suggests that the numerous failures to attack Castro may not be due to incompetence or idiocy.

Malthus

Assuming that Arafat was wacked with polonium, I assume it was the Ruskies helping out the Syrians. Polonium poisioning is a Russian MO, they were poisioning people all over the place with that shit in that era.

Moreover, accordong to Al Jezeera, the Russian team investigating this incident was pressured by the Russian gov't to not find anything.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

i don't see what Russia had to gain.

I figure Hamas/Iran 80%, israel 20%.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2013, 11:11:58 AM
i don't see what Russia had to gain.

I figure Hamas/Iran 80%, israel 20%.

Nothing, other than influence over the Syrians. Same reason they give the Syrians weapons and run interference for them at the UN.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on November 11, 2013, 11:14:04 AM
Nothing, other than influence over the Syrians. Same reason they give the Syrians weapons and run interference for them at the UN.

I don't follow.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2013, 11:15:43 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 11, 2013, 11:14:04 AM

I don't follow.

Well, they are simply making whatever the west is trying to do more difficult and supporting any allies they might have in doing so. Tarbalus gives them a chance to troll and interfere in politcs all over the med. Syria gives them a chance to troll and interfere in the mid east. Supporting whoever opposes whoever the west supports and giving them cover in the UN even if they oppose their goals just ends up wasting western political will on useless and minor tasks.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on November 11, 2013, 11:23:01 AM
Well, they are simply making whatever the west is trying to do more difficult and supporting any allies they might have in doing so. Tarbalus gives them a chance to troll and interfere in politcs all over the med. Syria gives them a chance to troll and interfere in the mid east. Supporting whoever opposes whoever the west supports and giving them cover in the UN even if they oppose their goals just ends up wasting western political will on useless and minor tasks.

Not that I necessarily agree with your analysis of Russian foreign policy, but how did Arafat's death fuck up the West's plans for the Middle East?