FDA: trans fats no longer "generally recognized as safe."

Started by Syt, November 07, 2013, 01:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on November 07, 2013, 02:31:54 PM
Nanny state to the rescue! :)

It's the only sensible solution to human stupidity and weakness.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on November 07, 2013, 03:34:50 PM

Is not being an expert on every intimate detail of every single food item for sale really an indication of stupidity?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

KFC hasn't been the same since they got rid of trans fats
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on November 07, 2013, 04:41:47 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 07, 2013, 03:34:50 PM

Is not being an expert on every intimate detail of every single food item for sale really an indication of stupidity?

I read labels.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

The Democrat attitude is "everyone is stupid but me."

The Republican attitude is "everyone is evil but me."

They both suck. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on November 07, 2013, 05:17:46 PM
I read labels.

Yeah, ok.  I have things to do and lack the time to spend hours researching everything I have contact with.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on November 07, 2013, 05:29:11 PM
The Democrat attitude is "everyone is stupid but me."

The Republican attitude is "everyone is evil but me."

They both suck. :sleep:

I think some other people are evil, not stupid.

And I need a nanny state to protect me from my foolishness.  Have you seen how I've lived my life?
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on November 07, 2013, 05:32:49 PM
I read labels.

Yeah, ok.  I have things to do and lack the time to spend hours researching everything I have contact with.

It takes you hours to read five or ten package labels? What, do you mean over the course of a lifetime? :lol:

No, I have to, to make sure they're not made with animal products. -_-
Kinemalogue

Camerus

I started taking better care of my health this summer (lost 10 lbs since then) and have generally avoided most transfats since they are almost universally condemned by medical practitioners.  Would prefer to see them eliminated as far as possible.

dps

One of the biggest sources of transfats in most people's diets nowdays is margarine.

Ironically, when I was a kid, most nutritional experts recommended margarine as being better for you than butter.

DGuller

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on November 07, 2013, 06:07:53 PM
I started taking better care of my health this summer (lost 10 lbs since then) and have generally avoided most transfats since they are almost universally condemned by medical practitioners.  Would prefer to see them eliminated as far as possible.
Agreed.  The biggest thing I find annoying is that transfats are still very prevalent in stuff that doesn't have visible nutrition labels, like store-made pastries.

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on November 07, 2013, 05:48:35 PM
I read labels.

It takes you hours to read five or ten package labels? What, do you mean over the course of a lifetime? :lol:

To actually understand the implications of each ingredient?  Sure.

Syt

Quote from: mongers on November 07, 2013, 02:09:59 PM
Syt, do you have an opinion about this ?  :)

T.I.M.M.A.Y. Newscorp, Ltd. pays me for news stories posted, not for my opinions. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on November 07, 2013, 11:26:00 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 07, 2013, 05:48:35 PM
I read labels.

To actually understand the implications of each ingredient?  Sure.

Fat: evil, protein: good, carbohydrates: chaotic neutral.  Easy.
Kinemalogue