FDA: trans fats no longer "generally recognized as safe."

Started by Syt, November 07, 2013, 01:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on November 08, 2013, 08:58:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2013, 08:32:43 AM
Health tips according to Ide. :lol:

Even a blind squirrel is right twice a day.

I'll defer to you, I've never had a chat with a squirrel.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on November 07, 2013, 02:38:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2013, 02:23:39 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 07, 2013, 02:22:28 PM
You'd be hard pressed to buy a food ingredient or product with transfats in it over here.

Though I've no idea what the situation is with restaurant food/eating out.

I think here you are hard pressed to buy foods without them.

Really, interesting contrast.

As far as I'm aware there's no legislation against them, just consumer pressure, government health messages and supermarkets advertisings products as not containing them.

Based on the amount of "OMG WE PUT HEALTHY STUFF INTO EVERYTHING AND MCDONALDS IS USING FREE RANGE CHICKENS" BS I see going around in the UK, my money on you consuming some pretty big amount of trans fats without even being told about it.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on November 07, 2013, 11:22:02 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on November 07, 2013, 06:07:53 PM
I started taking better care of my health this summer (lost 10 lbs since then) and have generally avoided most transfats since they are almost universally condemned by medical practitioners.  Would prefer to see them eliminated as far as possible.
Agreed.  The biggest thing I find annoying is that transfats are still very prevalent in stuff that doesn't have visible nutrition labels, like store-made pastries.

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on November 08, 2013, 11:10:31 AM
You'd be hard pressed to buy a food ingredient or product with transfats in it over here.

As far as I'm aware there's no legislation against them, just consumer pressure, government health messages and supermarkets advertisings products as not containing them.

Based on the amount of "OMG WE PUT HEALTHY STUFF INTO EVERYTHING AND MCDONALDS IS USING FREE RANGE CHICKENS" BS I see going around in the UK, my money on you consuming some pretty big amount of trans fats without even being told about it.

You are right. You guys are having horse daily without knowing it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on November 08, 2013, 11:10:31 AM

:huh:

You can take the Hungarian out of Hungary, but ......

Actually it seems like we're slightly ahead of the average on this health issue, with the US trailing a bit; turns out six years ago many of the major supermarkets decided to eliminate them from their own products. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6314753.stm

I know from experience it's hard to find them as an added ingredient in foods I buy. 

That's not to say there aren't problems with restaurant and hot take-away food, which don't need to state the ingredients in their products. 

But it's hardly the picture you paint.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Actually I'd forgotten that Bloomberg had used clout to eliminate trans fats in NYC restaurants.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2013, 09:14:50 PM
Actually I'd forgotten that Bloomberg had used clout to eliminate trans fats in NYC restaurants.

Yeah, the rest of America seems to now be moving in the 'right direction', this week the FDA coming out against it and a couple of days ago I saw a health item/infomercial about them on ABC news. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Little known fact - Adam was going to call the squirrel a "tree rat" until grumbler convinced him it should have a unique name.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Sounds like a myth.  Grumbler convinced somebody of something?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2013, 08:18:29 PM
K, gramps.

Now you did it.  Grumbler is gonna follow his normal pattern & inexplicably call you old.  Even though you're not.  But somehow that will make him feel better.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall