FDA: trans fats no longer "generally recognized as safe."

Started by Syt, November 07, 2013, 01:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 10, 2013, 11:07:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2013, 11:06:08 PM
Hey I heard that a label can say 0 trans fats but still have up to .5 grams a serving. Can anyone confirm?
I just posted that immediately above.  Can't you fucking read?

Can you?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Only Luddites actually read posts instead of having their computer read it to them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2013, 11:17:52 PM
Hey I heard that a label can say 0 trans fats but still have up to .5 grams a serving. Can anyone confirm?

Can you?

Camerus is back! :w00t:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Camerus

Quote from: Ideologue on November 10, 2013, 11:27:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2013, 11:17:52 PM

Can you?

Camerus is back! :w00t:

:hug:

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2013, 09:23:58 PM
Point taken.  But the only alternatives are eating trans fat loaded popcorn or waiting your whole life for the People's Design Bureau to figure it out.

You nailed it.
These mothefuckers need to learn how life was in soviet Russia.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Larch

Quote from: Ideologue on November 10, 2013, 09:19:09 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2013, 09:04:16 PM
WTF are you talking about?  It's a perfect example of the profits from R&D leading to a superior outcome for consumers.  How can you possibly misconstrue this as a case of market inefficiency?

To my mind, performing that R&D three or four times because of proprietary industrial processes that cost millions of dollars to develop seems a mite wasteful.

It's not neccesarily bad to research the same thing from several different angles, maybe the first solution found isn't the best one and another team looking into it can find a better option.

You also need to protect the R&D investment and its possible benefits through some form of intellectual property rights.

Capetan Mihali

So how bad are trans fats for you, really?  I eat a fair amount of microwave popcorn (especially those 100-calorie bags), not much baked goods.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 11, 2013, 11:41:04 AM
So how bad are trans fats for you, really?  I eat a fair amount of microwave popcorn (especially those 100-calorie bags), not much baked goods.

They do mean things.  They lower HDL while increasing LDL.  When combined with other fats they make things even worse, some researchers say the saturated fat studies were flawed simply because the saturated fats were tested in conjunction with trans fats - which made the cholesterol results even worse.

It is not nanny state to ban them, non-naturally occurring trans fats harm the body.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM