News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

ECB and Inflation

Started by The Minsky Moment, November 06, 2013, 02:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2015, 02:39:15 AM

To prevent this catastrophe that everyone is predicting?

the greater catastrophe would be enabling the Greeks to continue with their faulty behaviour while we pay for it, while signalling to other communist-types that it's a valid recipe to follow in places like Spain or Portugal. Better one crisis now, then crisis without end.

The Brain

:yes: They tried appeasement in the movies and it didn't work.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PJL on June 29, 2015, 02:21:59 AM
Also Greece has issued capital controls as well.

Please elaborate.  Frozen bank accounts?

jimmy olsen

So...Greece is definitely going bankrupt, and is probably going to leave. What now for the Euro?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 29, 2015, 08:06:16 AM
So...Greece is definitely going bankrupt, and is probably going to leave. What now for the Euro?

Has some new development happen during the last hour or so that makes you think so?

jimmy olsen

Junker's terrible speech is going to go over like a lead balloon with the Greeks and I expect them to vote No.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 29, 2015, 04:27:05 AM

the greater catastrophe would be enabling the Greeks to continue with their faulty behaviour while we pay for it, while signalling to other communist-types that it's a valid recipe to follow in places like Spain or Portugal. Better one crisis now, then crisis without end.

But what I suggested prevents that.  Pay the debt, send them out of the Eurozone.  You seem dead set on impoverishing yourselves to get back at Greeks.  That's absurd behavior.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Greece has a pretty tiny economy. How does whatever happen in Greece impoverish Belgium?

This will be an error the Greeks will long regret I think. Being part of Euroland was one of few things they had going for them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Belgium has its own debt problem.  Wouldn't take all that much to bankrupt Belgium.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2015, 08:56:09 AM

But what I suggested prevents that.  Pay the debt, send them out of the Eurozone.  You seem dead set on impoverishing yourselves to get back at Greeks.  That's absurd behavior.

we've already payed, the costs are sunk. Paying some more is what is absurd and impoverishes us. It doesn't work cause it takes away incentive to reform. As we've seen in nearly 60 years of non-reform presided over by the PS in the south of Belgium. Countless billions wasted.

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 29, 2015, 10:15:20 AM
As we've seen in nearly 60 years of non-reform presided over by the PS in the south of Belgium.

Good thing MR is in charge now -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2015, 10:37:53 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 29, 2015, 10:15:20 AM
As we've seen in nearly 60 years of non-reform presided over by the PS in the south of Belgium.

Good thing MR is in charge now -_-

PS still rules in Wallonia and Brussel. It's still uncertain wether or not the MR-gambit will pay of for them.

Zanza

Greek government will resign if they lose referendum, i.e. If voters vote pro deal.

The Minsky Moment

Even if Greece was bailed out with rainbows and lollipops, no one in their right mind would think that going through their experience would be desirable. 

No Eurozone underwent as much austerity as Greece.  So what's the message that gets sent when doing that ends in rejection and failure?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 29, 2015, 04:50:27 PM
No Eurozone underwent as much austerity as Greece.  So what's the message that gets sent when doing that ends in rejection and failure?

When you start with a 19% deficit and 130% debt, none of your options are going to be fun.