And we're back!

Main Menu

ECB and Inflation

Started by The Minsky Moment, November 06, 2013, 02:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2015, 04:16:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2015, 03:21:40 PM
Why not just pay their tab, then send them out the door?

I believe there is no legal mechanism for evicting a country from the eurozone or EU.

You can just do it. Swoosh.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2015, 04:16:26 PM

I believe there is no legal mechanism for evicting a country from the eurozone or EU.

A country leaving the EU is possible since the Treaty of Lisbon.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 27, 2015, 05:50:26 PM

Involuntarily?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2015, 05:52:11 PM

Involuntarily?

Exit has to be negotiated in any case during a European Council but some rights of a country may be suspended, though I don't believe it applies to the current situation.
An ad hoc solution would be found should the need arise, as said in other words by The Brain.

Razgovory

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 27, 2015, 03:56:47 PM
because they'll just run up another tab and come begging again. It something people generally don't appreciate.

So what?  It won't be your problem, they won't be in the Eurozone.  They can beg all the like, since you are not in a union with them, what does it matter to you?   It's not a crisis if some third party messes up their finances only in a Eurozone member does.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2015, 05:52:11 PM

Involuntarily?

No. Though the ECB has the tools to force an exit.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2015, 07:03:59 PM
because they'll just run up another tab and come begging again. It something people generally don't appreciate.

So what?  It won't be your problem, they won't be in the Eurozone.  They can beg all the like, since you are not in a union with them, what does it matter to you?   It's not a crisis if some third party messes up their finances only in a Eurozone member does.

then why bother paying their tab before removing them from the eurozone. the money is gone until it isn't.

Zanza

Quote from: Iormlund on June 28, 2015, 02:04:31 AM
No. Though the ECB has the tools to force an exit.
And they probably just did. They decided not to increase the emergency lending assistance program for Greek banks. With the currently ongoing bank run in Greece, it is only a matter of time until the first bank becomes illiquid.

And the Greek government is almost certain to default on its IMF loan on Tuesday.

Iormlund

Yep. As a response, Greece institutes capital controls, closes banks.

Admiral Yi

Isn't Shelf nibbling on feta cheese and olives right now?

Monoriu

I don't understand.  What exactly are the Greeks voting on?  To accept cuts in exchange for money?  I thought the money is already due before the plebiscite takes place.   Assume that they vote "yes, we are willing to cut our pensions and sell the Acropolis so that we won't default".  IMF: "well, you had already defaulted 5 days ago."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Monoriu on June 28, 2015, 08:21:05 PM
I don't understand.  What exactly are the Greeks voting on?  To accept cuts in exchange for money?  I thought the money is already due before the plebiscite takes place.   Assume that they vote "yes, we are willing to cut our pensions and sell the Acropolis so that we won't default".  IMF: "well, you had already defaulted 5 days ago."

Once the suffering starts, Tspiras will have the cover of saying he did what the public wanted.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Mono as always does not get politics. Film at 11.

If you owe someone 1 million Euro it's your problem. If you owe someone 323 billion Euro it's their problem. Tsirpas is probably playing right now on an extension of the loan until after the referendum results - I would be surprised if he does not get it.

It's funny how we went through this pantomime already back in February and nothing really changed.

PJL

Quote from: Martinus on June 28, 2015, 11:30:56 PM

Mono as always does not get politics. Film at 11.

If you owe someone 1 million Euro it's your problem. If you owe someone 323 billion Euro it's their problem. Tsirpas is probably playing right now on an extension of the loan until after the referendum results - I would be surprised if he does not get it.

It's funny how we went through this pantomime already back in February and nothing really changed.

This is different. The markets are in turmoil at the moment, this didn't happen in February. Also Greece has issued capital controls as well. With the troika playing hardball, and refusing even minor extensions to the deadline, it means Greece will default on Wednesday. That much is certain.

Razgovory

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 28, 2015, 05:58:35 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2015, 07:03:59 PM

then why bother paying their tab before removing them from the eurozone. the money is gone until it isn't.

To prevent this catastrophe that everyone is predicting?  But hey, you seem guys seem so goddamn eager to cut off your own nose to spite your face, don't let good sense stop you.  I remember when you Euros were so goddamn smug with your European Union 10 years ago, I don't mind you continuing to destroy yourselves.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017