News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

ECB and Inflation

Started by The Minsky Moment, November 06, 2013, 02:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archy

Quote from: Zanza on June 29, 2015, 04:19:35 PM
Greek government will resign if they lose referendum, i.e. If voters vote pro deal.
I wonder what would happen if Greece votes yes and if Syriza would win the election after the referendum.  :sleep:

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2015, 04:53:34 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 29, 2015, 04:50:27 PM
No Eurozone underwent as much austerity as Greece.  So what's the message that gets sent when doing that ends in rejection and failure?

When you start with a 19% deficit and 130% debt, none of your options are going to be fun.

Boom.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2015, 04:53:34 PM
No Eurozone underwent as much austerity as Greece.  So what's the message that gets sent when doing that ends in rejection and failure?

When you start with a 19% deficit and 130% debt, none of your options are going to be fun.

Sure, but presumably the grownups in the room can choose the wisest path without worrying about punishing the Greeks sufficiently.

The Brain

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 29, 2015, 04:27:05 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2015, 02:39:15 AM

To prevent this catastrophe that everyone is predicting?

the greater catastrophe would be enabling the Greeks to continue with their faulty behaviour while we pay for it, while signalling to other communist-types that it's a valid recipe to follow in places like Spain or Portugal. Better one crisis now, then crisis without end.

Even if Greece was bailed out with rainbows and lollipops, no one in their right mind would think that going through their experience would be desirable. 

Greeks aren't in their right minds. That's why there's a problem in the first place.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

Isn't Sheilbn comfy on a beach there right now? Hope he brought enough cash with him.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Monoriu

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 29, 2015, 04:27:05 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2015, 02:39:15 AM

To prevent this catastrophe that everyone is predicting?

the greater catastrophe would be enabling the Greeks to continue with their faulty behaviour while we pay for it, while signalling to other communist-types that it's a valid recipe to follow in places like Spain or Portugal. Better one crisis now, then crisis without end.

Even if Greece was bailed out with rainbows and lollipops, no one in their right mind would think that going through their experience would be desirable. 

Yet there is an increasing appetite for anti-austerity parties like Podemos?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2015, 10:01:10 AM
Greece has a pretty tiny economy. How does whatever happen in Greece impoverish Belgium?

This will be an error the Greeks will long regret I think. Being part of Euroland was one of few things they had going for them.

Actually, being in the Eurozone is one of the reasons this has become such an economic disaster. It took away the monetary controls that are often used to help these situations. Greece probably shouldn't have been let into the Eurozone in the first place.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Greece has a pretty tiny economy. How does whatever happen in Greece impoverish Belgium?

This will be an error the Greeks will long regret I think. Being part of Euroland was one of few things they had going for them.

I was under the impression that defaulting on the Euro would result in pain across the Eurozone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 29, 2015, 07:01:23 PM

Actually, being in the Eurozone is one of the reasons this has become such an economic disaster. It took away the monetary controls that are often used to help these situations. Greece probably shouldn't have been let into the Eurozone in the first place.

And they probably should not have cooked their books. 

Razgovory

Well, you have to admire that the European adhering to the spirit of '15.  1915.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

I fear the greatest danger is that Greece leaves the Euro, and do relatively well after a few years.  In that case there'll be a lot of incentive for others to follow instead of choosing the austerity path, eventually breaking up the common currency. 

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2015, 10:12:56 PM
I fear the greatest danger is that Greece leaves the Euro, and do relatively well after a few years.  In that case there'll be a lot of incentive for others to follow instead of choosing the austerity path, eventually breaking up the common currency.

Oh no. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Greece apparently has 60 billion of uncollected taxes to collect. So what's the message that gets sent when you come leeching of other people's money and then calling them names when you don't get your way when you still have lots of taxes to collect but refuse to do so?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2015, 10:12:56 PM

for the greeks to well they'll have to reform their entire state-apparatus. It's unlikely to happen. Didn't happen after the last 5 times they went bankrupt.

celedhring

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2015, 07:01:48 PM

I was under the impression that defaulting on the Euro would result in pain across the Eurozone.

It's a matter of expectations. If Greece can go, then much bigger countries like Spain or Italy suddenly don't look as safe as they did. Money is cowardly.

Our cabinet members are currently uttering the sentence "We are not Greece" approximately every 30 seconds.