And we're back!

Main Menu

ECB and Inflation

Started by The Minsky Moment, November 06, 2013, 02:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 05, 2014, 12:08:58 PM
Euro fiscal policy = bad.

Spare me your fancy mumbo jumbo Minkey and give it to me straight.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 05, 2014, 12:08:58 PM
Euro fiscal policy = bad.

Bad fiscal policy turned a financial crisis into a governmental solvency crisis?

The Minsky Moment

There was no general government solvency crisis in the Eurozone.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

I need another hint Joan.

The Minsky Moment

OK
The Great Recession lowered tax revenues, and caused cyclically related spending to spike (e.g. unemployment insurance).  This happens in every business cycle, which is why economists usually refer to cyclically adjusted deficits.

However, the Eurozone mandarins either panicked or were deliberate obtuse and treated the cyclical impact as deficits as a structural problem requiring immediate action and pushed austerity.  That made the underlying problem worse.

We know that the Eurozone underperformed in growth during the Great Recession and aftermath.  The tough question is to what extent that is due to the fiscal austerity and what extent due to monetary tightness. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

I see.  So the really clever thing for the Greeks to do would have been to raise debt/GDP even further?  Say, to 200% of GDP?  Or infinity plus 2?

The Minsky Moment

Greece is what, 1% of the Eurozone?  Greece is not the issue.  Nor is Cyprus, or Estonia, or Slovenia.

Greece should have never been admitted in the first place - they weren't close to the criteria.  But having let them in, their Eurozone partners should have accepted the reality of sunk costs and bailed them out for real.  Instead they did a half ass bailout that has let the problem fester for a few more years.  But it's not up to me to tell them how to run their railroad, unless there are global impacts.  Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands - that is where the high impact was/is.

--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

OK, not Greece.  Italy and Spain should have piled on more debt, is that what you are saying?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 05, 2014, 04:59:49 PM
OK, not Greece.  Italy and Spain should have piled on more debt, is that what you are saying?

Question,

Is not invoking austerity measures during an economic downturn the same as piling on debt? 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 05, 2014, 04:59:49 PM

They did pile on more debt.  Both countries had their debt-to-GDP ratios rise.  Austerity in the teeth of the a recession is counter-productive. 

It is plain as day in the data.  Both countries were recovering slowly in 2011, then they passed their austerity budgets and plunged back into negative growth.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 05, 2014, 05:08:50 PM
They did pile on more debt.  Both countries had their debt-to-GDP ratios rise.  Austerity in the teeth of the a recession is counter-productive. 

It is plain as day in the data.  Both countries were recovering slowly in 2011, then they passed their austerity budgets and plunged back into negative growth.

Pile on even more debt than they did under so-called austerity.  That's what your recommendation is, no?  Death to austerity, run deficits of 9-14%?

Who was going to lend them that money Joan?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 05, 2014, 05:02:50 PM
Question,

Is not invoking austerity measures during an economic downturn the same as piling on debt?

Almost definitionally.  The greater your annual deficit, the more your debt will increase.  Not cutting your deficit ("austerity") means more debt.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 05, 2014, 07:38:46 PM
Question,

Almost definitionally.  The greater your annual deficit, the more your debt will increase.  Not cutting your deficit ("austerity") means more debt.

What if "austerity", does not cut your deficit?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 05, 2014, 07:38:46 PM
Question,

CC's post doesn't contain the word "deficit", so the use of the word "definitionally" is extremely improper.

If austerity measures tank your economy, receipts go down and non-discretionary outlays go up.  Hence deficits can go up. 

And since debt doesn't really matter per se, but rather debt/GDP, the problem is compounded because GDP is going down.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 05, 2014, 08:15:38 PM
What if "austerity", does not cut your deficit?

I give up.