What's the deal with Mayor Rob Ford??

Started by OttoVonBismarck, November 04, 2013, 03:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2013, 01:25:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2013, 01:20:30 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 05, 2013, 01:16:39 PM
I don't consider myself a puritan, but I'd probably have some qualms with my Mayor strolling around town meeting with drug dealers that his driver knows, and smoking crack cocaine. Crack cocaine is a poor hood drug, I don't really know what a respectable member of the ruling class is doing using it when he could have been snorting coke or something more appropriate for his economic/societal station.

You don't seem to appreciate what Rob Ford's "economic/societal station" is.

Bingo

Otto,  Ford got elected on a platform which proudly declared his anti-establishment, anti-intellectual and anti ruling-class status.  If someone in one of those groups had been around to advise him he probably could have turned this story to his advantage early on.  Who knows he still might do.

There were stories when this first came out that Ford's right hand man (whose name escapes me) was fired because he point-blank told Ford he needed to come clean about his alcohol / drug use and seek treatment.  He'd be doing about a million times better right now if he'd followed that advice.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Crack ain't just black anymore.  Hasn't been for a long time.

You people need to get out more.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2013, 01:32:47 PM

Rob Ford and Seedy. Leading us into the new millenium.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Now that I'm in the south and no longer doing drug prosecutions I'm a little bit out of the loop, but certainly in the north poor whites would use crack.  Powdered coke was very rare to see.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2013, 01:32:06 PM
There were stories when this first came out that Ford's right hand man (whose name escapes me) was fired because he point-blank told Ford he needed to come clean about his alcohol / drug use and seek treatment.  He'd be doing about a million times better right now if he'd followed that advice.

I suppose you missed my first post where I said:

QuoteIf he had just come clean about smoking crack in the first place this story would have gone nowhere except for the puritans.

garbon

Okay but it still has the stigma of poverty.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Crack is a ghetto drug
Meth is where it's at for the poors of the bleached variety
get it right people, sheesh.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2013, 01:37:11 PM

And again you miss the point of the constituency that elected Ford

Malthus

Unfortunately, unless he resigns voluntarily, or is tried and convicted of something, there appears to be no mechanism for removing a mayor for being a drunken and drugged-up wreck.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2013, 01:38:09 PM

And again you miss the point of the constituency that elected Ford

I wasn't caring about that but just replying to Seed's campaign to rehabilitate crack.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

If only they had worked harder and got better jobs, they'd be able to afford better drugs.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2013, 01:40:23 PM

If only they had worked harder and got better jobs, they'd be able to afford better drugs.

Easier to abuse hydrocodone when you have a prescription. :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 05, 2013, 01:39:32 PM
Unfortunately, unless he resigns voluntarily, or is tried and convicted of something, there appears to be no mechanism for removing a mayor for being a drunken and drugged-up wreck.

I am not sure if this is a form of social commentary predicting he will be re-elected or not :hmm:

:D