News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

HOI2: Armageddon and Deus Vult?

Started by vinraith, June 01, 2009, 01:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinraith

Being in something of a historical strategy gaming mood I find myself wondering whether the newer expansion packs for HoI2 and CK are worth my while. I have HoI2 and Doomsday, and base CK.

Are the new expansion packs worthwhile? Are they well patched? Are there any interesting mods I should be aware of? Oh, and can HoI2 run in widescreen (I know there's a trick for CK, though I think I've lost the link in my latest HD crash)? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

ulmont

Quote from: vinraith on June 01, 2009, 01:10:56 AM
Being in something of a historical strategy gaming mood I find myself wondering whether the newer expansion packs for HoI2 and CK are worth my while. I have HoI2 and Doomsday, and base CK.

Are the new expansion packs worthwhile?

Deus Vult is definitely worth it.  Armageddon is marginal.

Norgy

I agree with ulmont.

Armageddon adds little substantial, except "brigades" to ships and "easier" production (as you can produce divisions+brigades together).

Apart from that, it's a alt-hist MP mod that will bring tears of anger to your eyes.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Norgy on June 01, 2009, 09:11:51 AM

Apart from that, it's a alt-hist MP mod that will bring tears of anger to your eyes.

I always wondered "was that the best they could come up with?"

I mean, they could have done an Nazi's vs Imperial Japan for control of the world. That would have been uber cool.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

IT HAS TO BE TEH BALANCED!!!! 200 IC FOR EVERYONE!11

saskganesh

DV is certainly worth 10 bucks. get the 0ctober beta patch applied after it's installed.
humans were created in their own image

ulmont

Quote from: Norgy on June 01, 2009, 09:24:20 AM
IT HAS TO BE TEH BALANCED!!!! 200 IC FOR EVERYONE!11

Except it failed miserably.  The Oceanic power (Australia etc., I forget) gets totally boned by the no land-connection manpower penalty, and good luck with anybody finding their resources.

vinraith

Thanks for the info. Armageddon's $5, Deus Vult is $15 (I missed the $10 sale for CK + DV, sadly).

Has there been more than one beta patch for DV? Any good mods?

garbon

TASS and DVIP are the two main mods.  They both do similar things although because of the scarcity of resources (e.g. culture and country tags), both largely follow their creators' (one guy runs each) visions/prioritizing.  I don't actually run either, so I can't recommend one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

vinraith

Ok,  I also own Vicky and Revolutions, what's the general consensus on VIP?

The Minsky Moment

I recommend VIP.  It does somewhat straightjacket the world in event chains, but it helps avoid wildly ahistorical outcomes.  And the player has freedom to operate.  The split of British India is pretty essential to avoid a massive red tide of endless British infantry.  The economy is better balanced IMO.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

vinraith

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 01, 2009, 01:41:48 PM
I recommend VIP.  It does somewhat straightjacket the world in event chains, but it helps avoid wildly ahistorical outcomes.  And the player has freedom to operate.  The split of British India is pretty essential to avoid a massive red tide of endless British infantry.  The economy is better balanced IMO.

Sounds good. I see that I'm supposed to install 0.1, then 0.2, then the hotfixes, but the link to 0.1 appears to be dead. Anyone know where I can find it? Also, do I need OHgamer's hotfixes for Vicky:R is I'm planning to run VIP:R?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: vinraith on June 01, 2009, 02:39:25 PM
Sounds good. I see that I'm supposed to install 0.1, then 0.2, then the hotfixes, but the link to 0.1 appears to be dead. Anyone know where I can find it? Also, do I need OHgamer's hotfixes for Vicky:R is I'm planning to run VIP:R?

If you are running VIP, I don't think you need the hotfixes for vanilla revolutions.  Just follow the install order in OHgamer's sig.  If the link to 0.1 at the Paradox site doesn't work, you can try the dedicated mod site (also in the signature).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.