12 years ago: iPod announced. Forumites jaded, unimpressed.

Started by Syt, October 23, 2013, 11:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Not sure BB's thesis that Jobs pulled the wool over the music industries eyes holds up to scrutiny.

Itunes was a huge success well before the introduction of the IPod.  Windows systems could run it around the time the first IPod was released.  Throughout that time and after Apple continued to enter into licencing agreements with various content providers.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2013, 03:49:01 PM
Not sure BB's thesis that Jobs pulled the wool over the music industries eyes holds up to scrutiny.

Itunes was a huge success well before the introduction of the IPod.  Windows systems could run it around the time the first IPod was released.  Throughout that time and after Apple continued to enter into licencing agreements with various content providers.

iTunes store didn't exist until the 3rd gen of iPods if wiki is to be trusted.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

And IIRC the first gen iPod was not Windows compatible at all.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

I still don't really get the appeal of the iPad or any other tablet :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 23, 2013, 03:35:55 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 23, 2013, 03:32:30 PM
I remember when the iPad came out. Again, failure was widely predicted. As I recall, people were complaining that the device name sounded like something used for menstrual sanitation.  :D

I don't recall anyone thinking it would flop (though there were sani pad jokes a-plenty).

My recollection was that people thought it fell between two stools - not convenient to the pocket like an iPod and no keyboard/screen combo like a laptop.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 23, 2013, 04:04:48 PM
I still don't really get the appeal of the iPad or any other tablet :mellow:

I didn't either but my kindle fire has grown on me. I like how cheap books are often priced. And makes for easing ready while standing on subway train as you only need one hand to flip pages.

Much lighter/portable than netbooks / doesn't suffer from how netbooks had those tiny keyboards and had to be flat to be usable.  That said, I find the iPad bulky and so doesn't have the advantages of the smaller tablets or a computer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I love the Kindle. Mine's broke unfortunately and I get the appeal of an e-reader. It's the rest of stuff a tablet does and the way it doesn't that I don't really understand.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 23, 2013, 04:09:09 PM
I love the Kindle. Mine's broke unfortunately and I get the appeal of an e-reader. It's the rest of stuff a tablet does and the way it doesn't that I don't really understand.

An easy and quick way to be online that is convenient for when you are on the go. Not much different from why people go online with their phones, except that it is large enough to actually see things clearly without squinting. :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2013, 03:58:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2013, 03:49:01 PM

iTunes store didn't exist until the 3rd gen of iPods if wiki is to be trusted.

Not according to this article which states itunes came before the IPod.

Quoteat Macworld San Francisco in 2001, Apple debuted iTunes alongside iDVD and the CD-RW-enabled Power Macs. While it wasn't exactly a show-stopper (though 275,000 copies were downloaded in the first week), the "world's best and easiest to use 'jukebox' software" definitely raised the bar for music players on the Mac, which were relatively sparse and rather pricey (SoundJam cost $40). By offering iTunes as a free download and installing it on every new Mac, Apple essentially cut down the competition at the pass--or at least put a good scare into them. "Apple has done what Apple does best--make complex applications easy, and make them even more powerful in the process," said Steve Jobs at the time. "iTunes is miles ahead of every other jukebox application, and we hope its dramatically simpler user interface will bring even more people into the digital music revolution."

For many Mac users, iTunes was an introduction to digital music, and Apple strived to create a straightforward jukebox that needed little or no instruction to get started. Popping a music CD into your Mac automatically launched iTunes, which loaded the disc, collected track data from Gracenote and added them to your library. A clean interface split into boxes kept everything neat and always within reach of a mouse click.

Conspicuously missing from iTunes 1 was the ability to burn a CD on an external drive, a deficiency compounded by Apple's mostly CD-RW-less line of Macs. Apple answered the cries a month later at Macworld Tokyo with the introduction of new iMacs and Cubes with write-able drives, a 1.1 update that added third-party support, and the launch of the controversial "Rip, Mix, Burn" campaign.

After racking up more than a million downloads in just a few short months, it quickly became clear that iTunes was every bit as revolutionary as Apple hoped. What all those users didn't know, however, was that the music player was merely the first part of a strategy that would redefine the company as more than a Mac maker. in October 2001, Steve Jobs showed us the next piece of Apple's digital hub in the form of an oddly named, undeniably sexy hand-held device. Built exclusively to leverage the popularity of Apple's music app, iPod came bundled with a brand-new version of iTunes that allowed it to seamlessly integrate with the songs and playlists stored on our Macs.

frunk

iTunes was released in 2001, the iTunes store came out in 2003.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2013, 04:13:54 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 23, 2013, 04:09:09 PM

An easy and quick way to be online that is convenient for when you are on the go. Not much different from why people go online with their phones, except that it is large enough to actually see things clearly without squinting. :D
So maybe it's because of my great eyesight that I don't see the point of the iPad :P
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

The iTunes App came out in January 2001. iPod in October 2001. The iTunes Music Store came out in April 2003.

http://www.apple.com/pr/products/ipodhistory/

That may be what Wiki is talking about, g.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Not ever owned an ipod nor even ever used/touched one. 

I like older discreet mp3 players, particularly the faglighter shaped creative ones that take AAAs.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on October 23, 2013, 04:18:04 PM
The iTunes App came out in January 2001. iPod in October 2001. The iTunes Music Store came out in April 2003.

http://www.apple.com/pr/products/ipodhistory/

That may be what Wiki is talking about, g.

And of course from the same link, iTunes Music Store became available for Windows users in October of 2003.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 23, 2013, 12:08:02 PM
I can hold my iPad with my left hand and jerk off with the right.

I like how you can turn it to landscape, and with the case I have, fold it back to sit on my chest.  That way, I can get the balls action as well.