12 years ago: iPod announced. Forumites jaded, unimpressed.

Started by Syt, October 23, 2013, 11:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 23, 2013, 04:18:04 PM
The iTunes App came out in January 2001. iPod in October 2001. The iTunes Music Store came out in April 2003.

http://www.apple.com/pr/products/ipodhistory/

That may be what Wiki is talking about, g.

And Beebs and I wrote about iTunes store...so I think iTunes itself is neither here nor there.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2013, 05:07:11 PM
The iTunes App came out in January 2001. iPod in October 2001. The iTunes Music Store came out in April 2003.

And Beebs and I wrote about iTunes store...so I think iTunes itself is neither here nor there.

Ah, okay.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 23, 2013, 05:08:57 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2013, 05:07:11 PM

Ah, okay.

Unless the record companies were silly enough to license to apple when apple didn't even have a distribution system. :D

mongers

So have we, in the Languish way, precisely delineated the history of itunes?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on October 23, 2013, 05:16:46 PM
So have we, in the Languish way, precisely delineated the history of itunes?

iTunes music store. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 23, 2013, 04:04:48 PM
I still don't really get the appeal of the iPad or any other tablet :mellow:

They're good for browsing the internet while sitting on the toilet.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

I love my 160GB ipod.

Gonna buy me another one for when my current one dies, since theyre probably gonna stop making them soon.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

The current model 160 GB iPod was released in September 2009.  That was more than 4 years ago.
The release price in 2009 was $249.  The price now for the same model is . . . $249.

I think it is safe to say if any competition existed in the high cap player market the price would be considerable lower at this point.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2013, 03:22:58 PM
Still don't own one.

Me either.

iPod is a different thing than a smartphone though. It has much lower marginal utility.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 23, 2013, 04:04:48 PM
I still don't really get the appeal of the iPad or any other tablet :mellow:

Reading the Internet on the crapper.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 23, 2013, 06:05:58 PM
iPod is a different thing than a smartphone though. It has much lower marginal utility.

I don't know. Unlike an iPhone, the iPod can keep charge for a longer period of time.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2013, 06:11:26 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 23, 2013, 06:05:58 PM

I don't know. Unlike an iPhone, the iPod can keep charge for a longer period of time.

Amen to that.  And you can cram a hell of a lot more into it to keep you occupied for a transcontinental flight.

garbon

Sorry should have said "long period of time".

But yeah. That battery is not a diva like the iPhone's.