12 years ago: iPod announced. Forumites jaded, unimpressed.

Started by Syt, October 23, 2013, 11:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

As sourced by The Atlantic:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

QuoteGreat just what the world needs, another freaking MP3 player. Go Steve! Where's the Newton?!

QuoteSounds very revolutionary to me.    :mad:

hey - heres an idea Apple - rather than enter the world of gimmicks and toys, why dont you spend a little more time sorting out your pathetically expensive and crap server line up? 
or are you really aiming to become a glorified consumer gimmicks firm?   :mad:

QuoteI still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!

QuoteIt's now at the online Apple Store!

$400 for an Mp3 Player!

I'd call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time...and it's not really functional.

Uuhh Steve, can I have a PDA now?

[Edited by elitemacor on 10-23-2001 at 02:33 PM]

Quotetrully revolutionary MY ASSSS!

http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...MainCategory=2

Creative NOMAD® Jukebox player
Capacity: 20GB hard drive (up to 340 hours at 128kbps MP3 encoding)

GO APPLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Quotebummer

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/electronics/5784.shtml

20 gig drive and its only $349

sorry apple, yer cool styling and faster transfer rate only count for so much

btw... for $100 bucks more you can buy an imac. Better bring that price down or you wont sell any of these babies

QuoteAny way you spin this it is:
1. Not revolutionary. Big capacity mp3 players already exist. With Creative Labs' entrance into the firewire arena, future nomads will have similar specs and better prices.
2. A bad fit. This product is outside Apple's core competancy - computing devices. When many are calling for a pda, they release an MP3 player.
3. Without a future. This Christmas you will see mp3 players be commoditized. Meaning that the players from Korea will be way less expensive tha iPod. The real money is in DRM and distribution (ala Real Musicnet). If Apple were smart they would be focusing on high gross revenue from services rather than a playback device.

Forums .... Forums never change.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

As anti-Apple as I've been at times, I can remember actually thinking it would be a successful product-- at least, once they made it PC-compatible.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Quoteor are you really aiming to become a glorified consumer gimmicks firm?

This guy might be on to something there.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

I can hold my iPad with my left hand and jerk off with the right.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Most of the those comments make good points.

The original iPod was a suboptimal device in terms of price and performance.  It didn't sell a ton either.
The ipod really didn't hit its stride until around the 4th gen or so. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that Apple's ultimate success was due in significant part to the catastrophic failure of the recording industry to get its act together.  Granted that wasn't entirely a suprising development, but things could have easily evolved in another direction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 23, 2013, 01:37:11 PM

The original iPod was a suboptimal device in terms of price and performance.  It didn't sell a ton either.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Apple's ultimate success was due in significant part to the catastrophic failure of the recording industry to get its act together.  Granted that wasn't entirely a suprising development, but things could have easily evolved in another direction.

What made Apple successful was the iPod / iTunes store combo.  Record companies only licensed their music to iTunes because it was limited to Mac users, a fairly small market at the time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 23, 2013, 01:47:27 PM

What made Apple successful was the iPod / iTunes store combo.  Record companies only licensed their music to iTunes because it was limited to Mac users, a fairly small market at the time.

:hmm:

I thought the iTunes store was available for windows, pretty shortly after its mac launch.  Wiki-check says about 5-6 months after.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2013, 01:53:43 PM

I thought the iTunes store was available for windows, pretty shortly after its mac launch.  Wiki-check says about 5-6 months after.

But that's the point - when it opened (and more importantly, when Apple negotiated licensing rights) it was Mac-only.  However their contracts didn't specify that it would always remain Mac-only...

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 23, 2013, 02:08:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2013, 01:53:43 PM

But that's the point - when it opened (and more importantly, when Apple negotiated licensing rights) it was Mac-only.  However their contracts didn't specify that it would always remain Mac-only...

I'll defer to you on this but it seems like those would have been rather silly negotiations if there had been no consideration to what might happen. Particularly given that iPods had been functional with Windows since about a year before the iTunes store debuted.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Yeah. But the fact that they were negotiations by the music industry makes it sound more plausible :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

I remember when the iPad came out. Again, failure was widely predicted. As I recall, people were complaining that the device name sounded like something used for menstrual sanitation.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 23, 2013, 03:32:30 PM
I remember when the iPad came out. Again, failure was widely predicted. As I recall, people were complaining that the device name sounded like something used for menstrual sanitation.  :D

I don't recall anyone thinking it would flop (though there were sani pad jokes a-plenty).