11 counties to vote on seceding from Colorado because it's too liberal

Started by Syt, October 12, 2013, 11:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2013, 07:03:44 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2013, 09:39:39 AM
Good for them. Colorado used to have a good balance of hippies and normal people. Now there are way too many hippies that have moved in.

Yeah crazy Lettowist idiocy is what normal people do.
I think part of their problem is that it seems what counts as 'normal people' is changing.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Is there really any question about the legality of West Virginia?

Virginia illegally seceeded from the Union. The Richmond state government was, by definition, no longer a government of a state of the United States.

So an alternative government was formed, which was duly recognized by the United States, and said government approved of the division of the state.

Sounds pretty straightforward to me, at least as straighyforward as rebellion can be....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2013, 08:11:42 AM
The farm subsidies are awesome.  One of those wonderful symbols of US political decadence.  A policy that everybody hates left and right...but are completely unwilling to actually get rid of.  Sort of like the minting of pennies.

:huh:

Taken from a pro-penny site( :lol:), but it appears you're wrong. 2/3 polled want to keep the penny.
http://www.pennies.org/index.php/penny-polling
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 14, 2013, 09:20:06 AM
Taken from a pro-penny site( :lol:), but it appears you're wrong. 2/3 polled want to keep the penny.

I meant from a policy perspective amongst those in charge.  I does say a lot that 2/3rds love Federal government waste though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2013, 08:11:42 AM
The farm subsidies are awesome.  One of those wonderful symbols of US political decadence.  A policy that everybody hates left and right...but are completely unwilling to actually get rid of.  Sort of like the minting of pennies.

:huh:

Very strange. That article says support has never gone below 60% but then they site a gallup poll that says 55%.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2013, 09:22:01 AM

I meant from a policy perspective amongst those in charge.  I does say a lot that 2/3rds love Federal government waste though.

Well, if those in charge want to get rid of the penny, then I think that that is a pretty powerful argument to keep it, no?  Those in charge have fucked up a lot of stuff by getting their way.

In fact, if you took those in charge and lined them up, end to end, around the equator...

... that would be a damn fine thing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on October 14, 2013, 11:09:28 AM

Well, if those in charge want to get rid of the penny, then I think that that is a pretty powerful argument to keep it, no?

Not really. A lot of people opposed probably either don't like change and/or think that rounding will end up in results not in their favor - though on the face of it, I don't see why that would be true.

Besides, the split between keep and get rid of doesn't seem that sharp.  Here's the referenced gallup poll.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/23779/penny-worth-saving-say-americans.aspx
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

At any rate, there's no vast majority of penny haters nor a small and very dedicated group of single-issue voters in favor, so the analogy with farm subsidies falls apart. Most people don't care at all.

Valmy

Well, if those in charge want to get rid of the penny, then I think that that is a pretty powerful argument to keep it, no?

Not really.  Money exists to facilitate economic activity.  Pennies do not only not do that, they cost the US economy and government a lot of money.  So why keep dumping money into a failed policy?  If people want pennies around for sentimental reasons there are billions out there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 14, 2013, 11:59:22 AM
At any rate, there's no vast majority of penny haters nor a small and very dedicated group of single-issue voters in favor, so the analogy with farm subsidies falls apart. Most people don't care at all.

The analogy was meant to be they are both symbols, to me, of political decadence.  Since it did not fit 100% I should not have made it.  My mistake.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2013, 12:03:56 PM
Since it did not fit 100% I should not have made it.  My mistake.

:lol:

If it had fit 51% or heck even 10%, I'd have left it alone.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 14, 2013, 12:11:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2013, 12:03:56 PM
Since it did not fit 100% I should not have made it.  My mistake.

:lol:

If it had fit 51% or heck even 10%, I'd have left it alone.  :P

You, sir, are a wiser man than I.

Razgovory

Taken from a pro-penny site( :lol: ), but it appears you're wrong. 2/3 polled want to keep the penny.

Well, if those in charge want to get rid of the penny, then I think that that is a pretty powerful argument to keep it, no?  Those in charge have fucked up a lot of stuff by getting their way.

In fact, if you took those in charge and lined them up, end to end, around the equator...

... that would be a damn fine thing.

This is remarkably dumb statement.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach