China developing 180,000-ton catamaran aircraft carrier

Started by jimmy olsen, October 11, 2013, 03:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Siege on October 12, 2013, 08:33:51 PM
Stingers are only good against choppers.

I don't think there is any fixed wing aircraft kill on record for stingers.
I'll have to look it up.

Clearly you've never seen excellent Nic Cage/Sean Young vehicle Firebirds.  Not one but two Saab Drakens.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2013, 07:54:19 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 12, 2013, 07:47:07 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 11, 2013, 08:18:02 PM
I'm sure that the B-29 would be very vulnerable to modern shoulder-mounted AA missiles, which the Russians, Chinese and Raytheon would be only too happy to provide them.

the crappy little warheads on the modern things are designed to fuck up high rpm finely machined turbine engines as you find in helicopters and jet planes. Trying to take down a WW2 bomber would probably require multiple hits with missiles.. in more than one engine.

I was actually wondering about that myself, but I'm not confident in saying that a 3kg explosive would not fuck up a B-29 very badly.  It seems to me like it'd be very likely to severely damage/take off a wing.
The burster on the Flak 88s weren't much bigger than 3kg, and they'd blow a wing off real nice with a straight shot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

This would be "downbuilding". I don't think building obsolete machines is the solution.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2013, 09:01:00 PM
Quote from: Siege on October 12, 2013, 08:33:51 PM
Stingers are only good against choppers.

I don't think there is any fixed wing aircraft kill on record for stingers.
I'll have to look it up.

Clearly you've never seen excellent Nic Cage/Sean Young vehicle Firebirds.  Not one but two Saab Drakens.

Such a lovely aircraft. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Really was.  Probably the prettiest jet fighter of them all, almost certainly prettiest production fighter, just about equaled only by the F-16XL (which was not, you wag, just a version of the F-16 that let itself go).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

the crappy little warheads on the modern things are designed to fuck up high rpm finely machined turbine engines as you find in helicopters and jet planes. Trying to take down a WW2 bomber would probably require multiple hits with missiles.. in more than one engine.

Not so.  A modern missile warhead would rip open fuel tanks and the plane would go down in flames.  WW2 bombers were able to survive small bullets holes, but not massive shaped-charge-type holes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 13, 2013, 11:46:37 AM

Not so.  A modern missile warhead would rip open fuel tanks and the plane would go down in flames.  WW2 bombers were able to survive small bullets holes, but not massive shaped-charge-type holes.

The B-17 begs to differ.

Neil

Quote from: dps on October 13, 2013, 05:48:20 PM
The B-17 begs to differ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-1qIN6UeC4

Seems like heavy bombers were vulnerable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

A B-17 couldn't withstand a hit from a 16 inch gun.  Victory for the dreadnought again.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ideologue

You lose a few.  On the plus side, if you don't die, you get to take a bath at the end of your shift.
Kinemalogue

grumbler

The B-17 begs to differ.
The approximately 3500 lost of approximately 12,500 produced agree with me.  Some B-17s made it back with damage that looked like it should have destroyed them, but the vast majority with that kind of damage were, indeed, destroyed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: Neil on October 13, 2013, 05:51:05 PM
The B-17 begs to differ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-1qIN6UeC4

Seems like heavy bombers were vulnerable.

The B-24 was the heavy bomber equivalent of a boxer with a glass jaw.

CountDeMoney

The discussion about whether a WW2 strategic bomber could survive a modern-day missile weapon is about as interesting as whether or not swarms of Incan torpedo boats could sink the USS New Jersey.  Only dumber.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney