China developing 180,000-ton catamaran aircraft carrier

Started by jimmy olsen, October 11, 2013, 03:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

I'm sure that the B-29 would be very vulnerable to modern shoulder-mounted AA missiles, which the Russians, Chinese and Raytheon would be only too happy to provide them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on October 11, 2013, 08:18:02 PM
I'm sure that the B-29 would be very vulnerable to modern shoulder-mounted AA missiles, which the Russians, Chinese and Raytheon would be only too happy to provide them.

You think those things could reach the B-29s altitude? I tend to think not.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2013, 08:19:54 PM
You think those things could reach the B-29s altitude? I tend to think not.
I'm not sure what the max altitude is on a stinger.  Still, I'm sure the Russians, Chinese or some US company would have something that could handle the B-29.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Anything that's heat seeking would actually be more effective against a jet aircraft than a piston-powered plane.

Ideologue

The point is that you can lose one a day and it's, like, no big deal.

Max range of a Stinger is something around 17,000 feet, btw (and they have UV sensors as well as IR, but I imagine that's even less useful against a piston engine aircraft).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

the crappy little warheads on the modern things are designed to fuck up high rpm finely machined turbine engines as you find in helicopters and jet planes. Trying to take down a WW2 bomber would probably require multiple hits with missiles.. in more than one engine.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Quote from: Viking on October 12, 2013, 07:47:07 PM

the crappy little warheads on the modern things are designed to fuck up high rpm finely machined turbine engines as you find in helicopters and jet planes. Trying to take down a WW2 bomber would probably require multiple hits with missiles.. in more than one engine.

I was actually wondering about that myself, but I'm not confident in saying that a 3kg explosive would not fuck up a B-29 very badly.  It seems to me like it'd be very likely to severely damage/take off a wing.
Kinemalogue

Viking

A Quick study found two occasions of piston engined aircraft being brought down by shoulder held aa missiles. Both Air Rhodesia Vickers Vicounts and both being brought down by Strela 2 missiles, both planes being civilian passenger liners and in both cases all passengers died, though in one of the cases the guerillas had to go to the crash site and murder the survivors.

The Vickers Vicounts were developed from WWII era Wellington medium bombers; which were flimsy and consequently taken out of bombing duty being relegated to being naval patrol aircraft.

Though both these cases seem to have been at low altitude during take-off or gaining altitude after take off. Plus, the engines and fuselages on Fortresses and Lancasters were considerably sturdier.

Admiral Yi

Siege

Stingers are only good against choppers.

I don't think there is any fixed wing aircraft kill on record for stingers.
I'll have to look it up.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Siege

7 being the original Soviet designation for shoulder fired rockets, whether anti-tank, anti-personel, or anti-aircraft.
They abandoned that designation in the late 80s if I recall correctly.