News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Berkut

Nobody cares about the impact of Obamacare on me?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on November 06, 2013, 02:34:25 PM
Open enrollment starting in a few weeks.

Employee contribution towards our health care plan at work for myself+family is going from $250/month for 2013 to $171/month for 2014.

Sounds like a win :cheers:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Berkut on November 06, 2013, 04:42:28 PM
Nobody cares about the impact of Obamacare on me?

You're rich.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on November 06, 2013, 04:58:15 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 06, 2013, 02:34:25 PM
Open enrollment starting in a few weeks.

Employee contribution towards our health care plan at work for myself+family is going from $250/month for 2013 to $171/month for 2014.

Sounds like a win :cheers:

They actually said that this was the first year in a long time when the cost of the health care plan was successfully held steady, so they passed some of the savings against their expected increase back to the employees.

Crazy Euro companies.

They also stated that if we choose to forgo health insurance, they would refund some of the savings back to us. If I give up my Family health care plan, in addition to saving $3000 or so a year that I kick in towards the cost, they would refund me an additional $6000/year.

I think my wife needs to go find a job with health care...

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on November 06, 2013, 05:03:04 PM
They also stated that if we choose to forgo health insurance, they would refund some of the savings back to us. If I give up my Family health care plan, in addition to saving $3000 or so a year that I kick in towards the cost, they would refund me an additional $6000/year.

I wonder how that jibes with the employer mandate.

Unless after the $6,000 and the fine they're still coming out ahead.  :hmm:

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2013, 05:04:35 PM

I don't think they would be in any trouble in that case - they are basically saying that if I don't need healthcare from them (say my wife has coverage from her employer) then they would share in that savings with me.

They are still offering health care.

0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2013, 05:04:35 PM

I think Berkut's right. They're not going to be fined if you choose not to take their healthcare plan. The mandate is to offer one.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2013, 05:30:24 PM
Hmmm.
It'd be perverse to have a penalty on companies who offer health insurance but are turned down by their employees - for whatever reason.

Apparently there's two employer penalties. There's a heavy one which is levied on companies that don't offer any plan. There's then a lighter penalty on companies who offer insurance that isn't 'affordable' - so broadly which pays for 60% costs and that charges less than 10% of employee's household income.
Let's bomb Russia!

Phillip V

Health Site Sign-Ups Fall Far Short Of Obama Target

'Fewer than 50,000 people successfully navigated the troubled federal health-care website to enroll in private health-insurance plans as of last week.
The administration had estimated that nearly 500,000 people would enroll in October. An estimated seven million were expected to gain private coverage by the end of March, when the open-enrollment period is set to end.'

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303460004579192190709762378

The Brain

Then lots of cool usernames should still be available. :w00t:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on November 11, 2013, 06:29:37 PM
Health Site Sign-Ups Fall Far Short Of Obama Target

'Fewer than 50,000 people successfully navigated the troubled federal health-care website to enroll in private health-insurance plans as of last week.

That's just the Federal website, for people stuck in Dumbfuckistan states that don't have exchanges.  Do we know what the total numbers are, including state exchanges?

garbon

They said that won't be released till later in the week.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Bill Clinton Attacks Obamacare

'Former President Bill Clinton joined the intensifying criticism of the botched health care rollout, urging President Obama to allow all Americans to keep their current health insurance plan.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/13/us/bill-clinton-urges-obama-to-yield-on-health-law.html