News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2013, 03:03:48 PM
:hmm: I think we need to ban derspiess from using the " :lol: " smiley.  They're so obnoxious when abused so frequently in such a way.
It just doesn't mean what he thinks it means.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2013, 03:03:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2013, 02:42:25 PM
One that's not decisively on the right or left.

Then I am not sure what your complaint is.  The US has no parties that are "decisively" on the left.  All of your parties are on the right of the spectrum compared to the politics of other countries.  The Democrates are just less right than the Republicans and therefore by definition the more centrist of the two parties.

Democrats are center-left and the GOP is center-right.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2013, 03:03:48 PM
:hmm: I think we need to ban derspiess from using the " :lol: " smiley.  They're so obnoxious when abused so frequently in such a way.

You know that only encourages me, right?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Phillip V

The Young Avoid New Health Plans

'Insurers say the early buyers of health coverage on the nation's troubled new websites are older than expected so far, raising early concerns about the economics of the insurance marketplaces.

If the trend continues, an older, more expensive set of customers could drive up prices for everyone, the insurers say, by forcing them to spread their costs around. "We need a broad range of people to make this work, and we're not seeing that right now," said Heather Thiltgen of Medical Mutual of Ohio, the state's largest insurer by individual customers. "We're seeing the population skewing older."
The law bars insurers from charging sicker customers higher rates, and limits the amount they can charge older people compared with younger ones. It offers new subsidies to help cover premiums available to many lower-income applicants. Insurers are relying on a steady stream of younger, healthier enrollees to offset medical bills of older, sicker customers.'

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303661404579178231174626314

Ideologue

It would probably help if young people had any means to pay for health insurance, like, you know, jobs.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on November 04, 2013, 11:19:13 PM
It would probably help if young people had any means to pay for health insurance, like, you know, jobs.

They should all start their own businesses.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

They're not looking hard enough. They could probably sign up for two or three jobs at fast food joints.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2013, 12:34:57 AM

They're not looking hard enough. They could probably sign up for two or three jobs at fast food joints.

You say that like it is some kind of rhetorical slam dunk.

But you are in fact exactly right. If you have a job that doesn't pay you enough, getting a second one is probably a good idea. Why is that such a difficult concept?

Of course, me and my silver spoon have no idea what we are talking about.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

Working in a fast food restaurant full time, let alone 60 hours a week, generates less utility than death, so why not commit suicide?  Then you don't need health insurance.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2013, 02:44:53 PM
A centrist party to me suggests one that overlaps the center on both sides.  To me that does not describe the Democratic Party.  They are center-left, with a left wing that makes noise and must be appeased, usually through rhetoric rather than policy.
I think because less and less people care about certain social issues, like the gays, it's easier to see the pro-business, corporatey wing of the Democrats as pretty centre-right. What the centre right's disagreement be with Cuomo, Quinn (and perhaps Clinton) really disagree? Maybe, occasionally, rhetoric at most?

QuoteAll the Blue Dogs got pushed to the curb in the first midterm.
Isn't that just a nature of the centre changing? My understanding of Blue Dog would be fiscally conservative, but also hawkish in foreign policy and socially conservative. I'd suggest that since the end of the Cold War the public's moved a long way on the last two. Does a constellation of views from Southern Democrats thirty years ago really describe the centre now?

By contrast there's 50 'New Democrats' (a la New Labour) who are associated with the DLC and broadly identify as fiscally conservative, pro-business but normally quite liberal on social issues, like the gays. I'd argue that's a better reflection of the centre now than the blue dogs.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on November 05, 2013, 01:48:33 AM
But you are in fact exactly right. If you have a job that doesn't pay you enough, getting a second one is probably a good idea. Why is that such a difficult concept?

I don't disagree. I just don't find this to be an ideal situation - in the past, low qualified people (and little prospects of educating themselves due to lack of ability or talent) could e.g. find decent jobs in manufacturing or construction that would allow them a modest existence. With a lot of these jobs either requiring better education/training or being moved offshore, these people slip even further down the pole.

Unfortunately I don't see a magic bullet solution to improving their situation.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Open enrollment starting in a few weeks.

Employee contribution towards our health care plan at work for myself+family is going from $250/month for 2013 to $171/month for 2014.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Question for DGuller:

I was thinking about state level competition, and the barriers to entry created by the cost of submitting plans to insurance commisionaers for approval.

Any chance of that disappearing now due to Obamacare?

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2013, 12:34:57 AM

That is not so easy in some parts of the country.  My cousin in College was trying to find a job like that, working at a fast food joint or waiting tables or something and that took her awhile.  Getting two or three might be challenging depending upon where you live.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2013, 02:36:36 PM
Question for DGuller:

I was thinking about state level competition, and the barriers to entry created by the cost of submitting plans to insurance commisionaers for approval.

Any chance of that disappearing now due to Obamacare?
Your guess is as good as mine.  State-based insurance regulation seems to be a bit of an anachronism these days, but it has a lot of powerful supporters, and some debatable advantages.  I'm not at all confident about predicting the future of regulation for property/casualty insurance that I specialize in, much less health insurance.