News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Jacob

Americans of Languish, the Obamacare deadline is almost upon you.

From what I've read, the impact is going to vary greatly between states that are working hard to implement it and make it work, and those that have rejected it completely.

In California it seems that the costs are even lower than predicted ($275/month vs predictions $450/month and $5200/year), and will be even lower for those who get subsidies.

Conversely (and I can't find the link right now), in states where they're actively working against the implementation people - especially poor people - are apparently set to have their costs increase.

So I'm curious, how is it likely to play out for you personally?

Caliga

Believe it or not given who represents us in the Senate, Kentucky is cooperating.  No idea what it'll do to my (already outstanding) coverage, but from what I'm hearing from the HR people (OF WHICH I AM NOT ONE), it's probably not going to impact our premiums in any way.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

If you already have employer-provided insurance it shouldn't affect you at all.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2013, 01:07:09 PM

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2013, 01:10:42 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2013, 01:07:09 PM

:lol:

:huh:

Please explain? How will it affect you if you have employer-provided insurance? How is it affecting you?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Eddie Teach

I expect I will continue to be without health care for the near future.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2013, 01:18:39 PMBoth.

How much are we talking, roughly, if you don't mind me asking?

Admiral Yi

Heard on CNN the other day that health care inflation has fallen to 1%.

(Compared to 8% in Canada.)

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2013, 01:17:09 PM
I expect I will continue to be without health care for the near future.

Damn, that's a pretty bad situation for you or others to be in.   :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2013, 01:19:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 25, 2013, 01:18:39 PMBoth.

How much are we talking, roughly, if you don't mind me asking?

Don't know off the top of my head.  I'll have to check the wife's pay advice since I'm on her Citi insurance.  I know people were going apeshit here last year when they announced the premium increase and mentioned that most of it was due to the Affordable Care Act.

But doesn't it make sense that premiums would go up with insurers being forced to cover more things than they used to?