The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I'm pretty sure that illegal rally wasn't during the shut down.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2013, 05:27:09 PM
I'm pretty sure that illegal rally wasn't during the shut down.

It happened yesterday.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on October 09, 2013, 05:24:25 PM
It National Park Service locations are closed for everyone else, they shouldn't be open for one specific group.  Free speech has nothing to do with it.
That's fair providing another venue can be found.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 05:45:48 PM
It happened yesterday.

No shit.  :lol:

Heard on CNN that DC's rep, Eleanor Holmes Norton, made an impassioned plea to Senate Democrats to pass the House CR funding DC.

grumbler

It National Park Service locations are closed for everyone else, they shouldn't be open for one specific group.  Free speech has nothing to do with it.

The Mall isn't closed to anyone.  It can't be closed to anyone.  It's just a big (really big) field of grass, with no enclosure around it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 09, 2013, 06:14:46 PM

The Mall isn't closed to anyone.  It can't be closed to anyone.  It's just a big (really big) field of grass, with no enclosure around it.

They could set up, say, temporary barriers around it.

Sheilbh

Here's a shocker: Republican who tries to make government work, treats black people with respect and appeals to the electorate polls well :o
QuoteThe Only Hope For The GOP Is To Be More Like Chris Christie
JOSH BARRO OCT. 9, 2013, 6:38 PM 382 2
A lot of people are talking today about this ugly poll chart for Republicans: Gallup found that just 28% of Americans have a favorable view of the Republican Party, down 10 points from last month and the lowest level since Gallup started asking the question in 1992.

But here's another poll chart from yesterday that shows the party isn't doomed. Its candidates can be wildly popular when they don't behave like morons bent on destruction of the economy:

That chart is from the Fairleigh Dickinson University Public Mind poll, and it shows New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) leading his Democratic challenger by 33 points.

After Superstorm Sandy hit last October, Christie's poll numbers soared because the public liked his handling of the storm. Many people thought his numbers would fade back to "normal" as time passed. That hasn't happened yet; he's poised for a blowout win, even as the national Republican brand is in the toilet.

Christie's path to sustained popularity and massive electoral success isn't complicated.

He stands up for conservative principles when the electorate shares them.
For example, he capped property taxes (New Jersey has the country's highest) and he implemented reforms to bring public employee benefits more in line with the private sector, saving money and helping local governments deliver services better.

But when conservatives want Christie to do things that would anger his electorate, like rejecting the Medicaid expansion or snubbing the president in the aftermath of a hurricane, he refuses.

This makes him popular for two reasons. One, it means he tends to take popular policy stances. Two, he shows the electorate that he cares first about them, not his political party.

Christie's pragmatism doesn't just show up in policy; you can also see it in his style. He works openly and enthusiastically with Democrats. His fights with Democratic legislative leaders have often been publicly acrimonious, but they have a lot of important joint legislative accomplishments, including that property tax cap and employee benefit reforms.

Compare that to Washington where, under conservative pressure, House Speaker John Boehner swore off one-on-one negotiations with President Obama earlier this year.

Christie's openness to Democrats has created openness to him. Dozens of local Democratic officials have endorsed him for re-election. Many polls show him drawing about a third of the black vote, an unheard of level for a Republican candidate.

The latest Fairleigh Dickinson poll shows him ahead by 8 points among non-white voters. Where else on this planet do Republican candidates win among non-whites?

I spoke with Michael Blunt, a black Democrat who has endorsed Christie. Blunt serves as mayor of Chesilhurst, a middle-class suburb of Philadelphia, which is about 50% black and gave 82% of its votes to Barack Obama in 2012.

Blunt had a simple explanation for how Christie has made inroads with black voters: "He talks to them. He makes them feel comfortable."

Blunt said black voters particularly appreciated how closely and warmly Christie worked with Obama in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, even though he knew he would take heat from conservatives for doing so. "In the heart of a presidential campaign, he let the people of the state of New Jersey know where he stood."

Republicans are worried about how to appeal to voters in a country that is decreasingly white. Christie has shown how much credibility Republicans can gain with black voters simply by showing respect to the president, even while disagreeing with him on a broad swath of policy issues.

This shouldn't be hard, but for most Republican politicians, it is. Much of the party's energy today is based on animus toward the man who happens to be the first black president. Christie is one of the few Republican politicians who understands how damaging that has been to the party's brand.

Christie's broad popularity hasn't translated into a base problem within New Jersey. Republicans consistently give him approval ratings of 90% or higher. He's made a lot of the right enemies, like teachers' unions, and unlike Republicans in the House of Representatives, he has real conservative policy accomplishments to brag about.

Christie's likely big win next month, when contrasted against Ken Cuccinelli's likely loss in the Virginia governor's race and the ongoing massive unpopularity of Republicans in Congress, should send Republicans a message about the direction they need to take the party in. The question is when they will start to listen.

Who knew that there was an alternative to nihilist counter-revolution? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Because GOP candidates always treat blacks with disrespect :mellow:

Christie is an awesome dude in the context of New Jersey politics.  But he'd need to build up some GOP street cred to get through the primaries.  As a Republican myself, the shine came off him not so much when he took that romantic beach walk with Obama as when he gave that uninspiring convention keynote in which he mostly talked about himself.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 06:58:21 PM
Because GOP candidates always treat blacks with disrespect :mellow:
As props would be my view.

QuoteChristie is an awesome dude in the context of New Jersey politics.  But he'd need to build up some GOP street cred to get through the primaries. 
I've no doubt you're right but that's a disgrace. He's a conservative who has actually accomplished things. He has laws that have passed that have advanced the conservative agenda, built up the Republican party in New Jersey and delivered to his voters. Despite that he's got less conservative bona fides than an elected media personality like Ted Cruz.

It may be a symptom of the conservative bubble - which isn't unlike the left-wing bubble in this country - but it's a shame.

QuoteAs a Republican myself, the shine came off him not so much when he took that romantic beach walk with Obama as when he gave that uninspiring convention keynote in which he mostly talked about himself.
If you thought that was uninspiring you should've heard the one about Romney :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on October 09, 2013, 04:08:03 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 09, 2013, 02:27:49 PM
Interesting question. If your going to be paid for sitting at home, get your ass into work. The Govmint cant be saving money (or whatever) if they still have to pay these people. I dont get the point. Basically the taxpayers foot the bill for a sweet boondoggle. It is not a paid vacation either. You use leave (from your leave balance) when you do that.

These people are not going to be charged leave. They were/are being paid to fuck-off at home. They may not be paid till this shits resolved, but who cares, it's still the taxpayer footing the bill for people fucking off at home.

Exactly.  Bringing them back would simply highlight how stupid it was to send them home (and then promise to pay them anyway, in a unanimous vote) to begin with.  Hostage-takers look ridiculous if the hostages just go about their lives, but wear a sign saying "hostage" so nobody forgets that the hostage-takers exist.

Clearly he is a RINO.

If you are not full-on, Tea Party crazy, you are a RINO.

Just like Dems that are Blue Dogs aren't really Dems at all.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 09, 2013, 06:54:10 PM
DG's Christie haterade in 3,2,1.......
:huh: I don't buy his shtick, and I think that he's a liar and an asshole, but I don't find him particularly loathsome as a politician.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on October 09, 2013, 07:03:47 PM
Clearly he is a RINO.

If you are not full-on, Tea Party crazy, you are a RINO.

Just like Dems that are Blue Dogs aren't really Dems at all.
We've had those debates countless of times before, but party loyalty is not an unqualified bad.  Only too much or too little is bad.  I know it's hard to see why we need to have parties right now, given a low-level civil war in progress in our country, but they do have an important function.

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on October 09, 2013, 07:03:47 PM
Clearly he is a RINO.

I've never liked how that term has been so over-used.  I think the only time I've used that term was on Lincoln Chafee.  And shock, shock he left the party and eventually became a Democrat.  Good riddance to that fucker.