The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

My cousin & his wife are treating it like a vacation.  Hell, I would as well if I knew I'd get back-pay.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Not everyone can do that. Some are stretched very thin right now....

QuoteThe government shutdown, now in its ninth day, has impacted government services and the Americans who rely on them to varying degrees. This week, members of Congress are wincing at the toll their dysfunction is taking on services for veterans and military families.

If the shutdown doesn't end soon, the Veterans Affairs (VA) Department won't be able to ensure that checks go out on Nov. 1 for 5.18 million beneficiaries, Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki told House Veterans' Affairs Committee. That amounts to $6.25 billion in payments that VA beneficiaries are expecting.

Already the VA has furloughed more than 7,800 employees, Shinseki, half of whom are veterans. While the VA has in the last six months made progress on reducing its disability claims backlog, the shutdown has reversed that progress, with the number of backlogged claims increasing by 2,000 since Oct. 1.

"We've lost ground we fought hard to take," said Shinseki, who at multiple points in his testimony to Congress used military analogies to explain the challenges his department is facing.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 10:34:13 AM
Funny you should mention that.  The gubmint apparently green-lighted an illegal immigrant rally & concert on the mall, while still trying to keep old people out of the WWII Memorial.  #washingtonmonumentsyndrome

Yeah, apparently the right of old people to enter memorials is equal to the right to free speech.  Seventy-seventh amendment or something.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Yeah. I'm on the Post 9/11 GI Bill and I'm not expecting any payments come November 1. Luckily I've been a good boy and have significant savings stashed away.  :smarty:

Feel bad for those veterans who live hand-to-mouth and who depend on that monthly living stipend to make ends meet though.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

I don't understand why the Administration doesn't just declare every worker essential, and have them go back to work (even though there isn't any money to pay them).  The Republicans would be left in the position of blocking pay to people "just doin' their jobs."   No shutdown, no drama, no trauma, just a bunch of Congressional assholes that won't do their fucking jobs.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on October 09, 2013, 02:15:44 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 10:34:13 AM
Funny you should mention that.  The gubmint apparently green-lighted an illegal immigrant rally & concert on the mall, while still trying to keep old people out of the WWII Memorial.  #washingtonmonumentsyndrome

Yeah, apparently the right of old people to enter memorials is equal to the right to free speech.  Seventy-seventh amendment or something.

I'm not sure I understand the "free speech" angle.  Like there's nowhere else for them to gather & demand stuff?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on October 09, 2013, 02:19:09 PM
I don't understand why the Administration doesn't just declare every worker essential, and have them go back to work (even though there isn't any money to pay them). The Republicans would be left in the position of blocking pay to people "just doin' their jobs."   No shutdown, no drama, no trauma, just a bunch of Congressional assholes that won't do their fucking jobs.

Interesting question. If your going to be paid for sitting at home, get your ass into work. The Govmint cant be saving money (or whatever) if they still have to pay these people. I dont get the point. Basically the taxpayers foot the bill for a sweet boondoggle. It is not a paid vacation either. You use leave (from your leave balance) when you do that.

These people are not going to be charged leave. They were/are being paid to fuck-off at home. They may not be paid till this shits resolved, but who cares, it's still the taxpayer footing the bill for people fucking off at home.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

I don't understand why the Administration doesn't just declare every worker essential, and have them go back to work (even though there isn't any money to pay them).  The Republicans would be left in the position of blocking pay to people "just doin' their jobs."   No shutdown, no drama, no trauma, just a bunch of Congressional assholes that won't do their fucking jobs.

I assume the same definition and jurisprudence is being used for that determination as is used for determining essential workers during a public sector strike.  If governments could simply declare all public employees to be essential it would make strikes easier to manage and most importantly Yi would continually have to explain he doesnt have a pickle in his pants.

Admiral Yi

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2013, 02:34:42 PM

I assume the same definition and jurisprudence is being used for that determination as is used for determining essential workers during a public sector strike.  If governments could simply declare all public employees to be essential it would make strikes easier to manage and most importantly Yi would continually have to explain he doesnt have a pickle in his pants.

Strike, civil service? I know there's a no-strike clause or something to that effect in the current CBA.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2013, 10:27:25 AM
I have to admit the bottom part has always confused me. If the gov't holds the belief that those individuals are here illegally, I'm confused why they aren't rounded up when they agitate for rights.  I remember being in California and there were illegal immigrants protesting for driver's licenses. Whole event was being televised and I was like shouldn't they be concerned that the authorities now know who they are?  I suppose that some of the protesters are actual citizens but then that's what ID checks are for.

LOL, as funny as that would be, a sweep and clear operation on the National Mall just wouldn't look good.  It would look awesome, but not good.   :lol:

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2013, 03:26:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2013, 10:27:25 AM
I have to admit the bottom part has always confused me. If the gov't holds the belief that those individuals are here illegally, I'm confused why they aren't rounded up when they agitate for rights.  I remember being in California and there were illegal immigrants protesting for driver's licenses. Whole event was being televised and I was like shouldn't they be concerned that the authorities now know who they are?  I suppose that some of the protesters are actual citizens but then that's what ID checks are for.

LOL, as funny as that would be, a sweep and clear operation on the National Mall just wouldn't look good.  It would look awesome, but not good.   :lol:

Sure but that isn't the only location that these types of events take place. :P

Anyway, I'm not saying I want that to occur! ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 02:21:45 PM
I'm not sure I understand the "free speech" angle.  Like there's nowhere else for them to gather & demand stuff?

I don't understand the "nowhere else" angle.  Like there are only a few designated areas where free speech can be practiced?

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on October 09, 2013, 02:27:49 PM
Interesting question. If your going to be paid for sitting at home, get your ass into work. The Govmint cant be saving money (or whatever) if they still have to pay these people. I dont get the point. Basically the taxpayers foot the bill for a sweet boondoggle. It is not a paid vacation either. You use leave (from your leave balance) when you do that.

These people are not going to be charged leave. They were/are being paid to fuck-off at home. They may not be paid till this shits resolved, but who cares, it's still the taxpayer footing the bill for people fucking off at home.

Exactly.  Bringing them back would simply highlight how stupid it was to send them home (and then promise to pay them anyway, in a unanimous vote) to begin with.  Hostage-takers look ridiculous if the hostages just go about their lives, but wear a sign saying "hostage" so nobody forgets that the hostage-takers exist.

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 09, 2013, 04:02:01 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 02:21:45 PM

I don't understand the "nowhere else" angle.  Like there are only a few designated areas where free speech can be practiced?

It National Park Service locations are closed for everyone else, they shouldn't be open for one specific group.  Free speech has nothing to do with it.