The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2013, 01:27:58 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 05, 2013, 07:58:09 AM
Right. Leaving the site open but unguarded is the right thing to do!

Open and unguarded is the natural condition of monuments on the mall.

So what do you guys want to hear? That they should have left the monument alone and open to whatever? Maybe, MAYBE beside being righteously pissed, they are also serious about their work, and were not willing to throw their hands up in the air and leave what they have been protecting for potential ruin?

dps

Quote from: Tamas on October 05, 2013, 01:40:18 PM

So what do you guys want to hear? That they should have left the monument alone and open to whatever? Maybe, MAYBE beside being righteously pissed, they are also serious about their work, and were not willing to throw their hands up in the air and leave what they have been protecting for potential ruin?

Read Yi's post right before yours.

Viking

not quite... they are actively guarded to keep them accessible and unvandalized.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

11B4V

Quote from: Viking on October 05, 2013, 04:44:45 PM

not quite... they are actively guarded to keep them accessible and unvandalized.

Wait is that guy exempted?????
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on October 05, 2013, 04:44:45 PM

What are you basing this on?

I'm basing mine on the fact that I've visited various Washington monuments many times, at various times of the day and night.  The National Phallus usually has a ranger or two during the day, but I've never noticed rangers at others.

It's not that different from various statuary and war dead obelisks and whatnot in other countries.  There's a statue in a park, and no one guarding it.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Just wondering but has anyone read a decent piece on what the argument was among Republicans to do this? I get the emotions and that side of thing, but from a party perspective what was the upside. Why was this path a good one for Republicans to take?

Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 05, 2013, 08:11:25 PM
Just wondering but has anyone read a decent piece on what the argument was among Republicans to do this? I get the emotions and that side of thing, but from a party perspective what was the upside. Why was this path a good one for Republicans to take?

They dont like black people. Who knows. I wonder if they're still sore about how Obamacare got passed?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Both of those are emotions and I get that. What I mean is what's the political upside? What benefits do they want to accrue?

This is why I struggle with the GOP right now. I don't mind parties being partisan because they believe their vision is necessary and right and they want to win. I'm baffled by a party that doesn't seem to even act in its own best interests.

Look the last 11 months have been about the lame duckification of Obama. His ebbing authority. Now it's Republican extremism and civil war - and how much everyone hates Ted Cruz. I can't work out why they'd do that. How they wanted to get from shutdown/potential default to profit.

It's why I think of Labour in the 80s because that's the only other example I can think of.
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

I am as baffled as you in regards to the GOP. I dont really identify with them anymore.

Admiral Yi

I think they've talked themselves into a corner and have no clue how to get out.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2013, 08:39:44 PM
I think they've talked themselves into a corner and have no clue how to get out.

Certainly cant disagree with that.

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2013, 08:39:44 PM

They've tried nothing and they are out of ideas?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM