The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 06:46:26 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 04, 2013, 06:44:27 PM
At least, it is the answer you prefer.

It was a helluva lot better than the lame crap you pulled out of your ass.  Maintenance?? Liability??  Bureaucratic snafu??

Do you really think Obama has decided which monuments will stay open and which will close?

It seems the Republicans have a strategy: cut off funding until they get their way, and then find a few questionable decisions to close things down and pin them on Obama.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on October 04, 2013, 08:36:52 PM
Do you really think Obama has decided which monuments will stay open and which will close?

Of course not.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 08:58:08 PM

Of course not.

Then why put this on him?

I admit to not reading most of this thread, so sorry if I'm going over well worn ground.

It seems as though these are decisions that would be made by civil servants, who would probably be conservative in their decisions. There may be some conservatism based on risk aversion. There could also be some spite involved (the public isn't going to pay me for a while, they can do without their monument). There could even be some turf defending (if I am a ranger overseeing a monument, I may see it staying open without me as a threat).

None of those seem political.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on October 04, 2013, 04:03:40 PM
... but at least Newt Gingrich has his priorities straight. He offered to pay our of his personal funds to keep the Smithsonian Zoo's panda cam running in spite of the shutdown: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/newt-zoo-shutdown
:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on October 04, 2013, 09:29:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 08:58:08 PM

Of course not.

Then why put this on him?

I admit to not reading most of this thread, so sorry if I'm going over well worn ground.

It seems as though these are decisions that would be made by civil servants, who would probably be conservative in their decisions. There may be some conservatism based on risk aversion. There could also be some spite involved (the public isn't going to pay me for a while, they can do without their monument). There could even be some turf defending (if I am a ranger overseeing a monument, I may see it staying open without me as a threat).

None of those seem political.

Yi didn't. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel link=topic=10462.msg649674#msg649674Then why put this on him?

I don't.

QuoteThere could also be some spite involved (the public isn't going to pay me for a while, they can do without their monument).

This, and the desire to make the public feel the pain of the shutdown, so they can pressure their reps, is how I see it (originally stated by dps).

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 06:34:28 PM
Quote from: dps on October 04, 2013, 06:32:42 PM
Probably it was done just to make people who wanted to visit the memorial upset about the shutdown in order to bring more pressure to bear on Congress.

This is the most logical answer.

No. The most logical answer is that they did not want be responsible for the premises and the visitors when they are not getting paid for it.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on October 05, 2013, 03:18:27 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 06:34:28 PM
Quote from: dps on October 04, 2013, 06:32:42 PM
Probably it was done just to make people who wanted to visit the memorial upset about the shutdown in order to bring more pressure to bear on Congress.

This is the most logical answer.

No. The most logical answer is that they did not want be responsible for the premises and the visitors when they are not getting paid for it.

No, the most logical answer is that they cannot responsibly provide visitors with the services and standard of care that they are legally required to when most of the park rangers are not available.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: Viking on October 05, 2013, 04:22:14 AM
No, the most logical answer is that they cannot responsibly provide visitors with the services and standard of care that they are legally required to when most of the park rangers are not available.

Pretty sure most visitors to memorials and historical sites don't really need any services as such--they just want to look at the monuments. 

Obviously, for people wanting to take part in outdoor activities at national parks (hiking the back country, etc.) it's a different story.

Quote from: Tamas

Then why were they showing up to put up barriers?  And I'm pretty sure that furloughed government workers wouldn't be individually liable for anything that happened to tourists during their furlough anyway.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: dps on October 05, 2013, 06:02:21 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 05, 2013, 04:22:14 AM

Pretty sure most visitors to memorials and historical sites don't really need any services as such--they just want to look at the monuments. 

Obviously, for people wanting to take part in outdoor activities at national parks (hiking the back country, etc.) it's a different story.

Quote from: Tamas

Then why were they showing up to put up barriers?  And I'm pretty sure that furloughed government workers wouldn't be individually liable for anything that happened to tourists during their furlough anyway.

Right. Leaving the site open but unguarded is the right thing to do! And it's Obama's fault anyway.

Sheilbh

Yeah. I think maintenance and liability are pretty obvious reasons to close them. Especially because (presumably) some services are also provided by DC, who are also shutdown.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: dps on October 05, 2013, 06:02:21 AM

I am not sure I understand what you and Yi are talking about.  In what way is the closed-because-of-shutdown memorial's "barriers" any different from its closed-for-the-night barriers?  If the memorial was closed for the night on Monday, and didn't open Tuesday morning because the workers who would open it were told to stay home, wouldn't the "barriers" still be up, without anyone showing up and putting them up?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!