The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 01:51:14 PM
I see a serious possibility of blockage of parks et al of negatively impacting public perception of Democrats.
If the Democrats agree to let the Republicans agenda go as they see fit, what is the point of having elections to elect non Republicans in office?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2013, 02:12:13 PM
If the Democrats agree to let the Republicans agenda go as they see fit, what is the point of having elections to elect non Republicans in office?

To block Republican legislation and/or control of the executive?

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2013, 01:21:23 PM
Am I correct in understanding that the reason for the shutdown is, in part, due to Boehner using the Hastert rule to prevent a resolution going to the floor for a vote?

Insofar as I know, Boehner has not invoked the Hastert Rule, nor has there been an actual caucus to discover how many Republican House members would oppose a continuing resolution. 

Boehner appears to be avoiding a vote on the principal that he doesn't want to know the truth, all he wants is to avoid pissing off the TPers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 02:09:09 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 02:03:46 PM
The question was, do you see the government staying open and Obamacare being funded if the Dems allow this kind of piecemeal budgeting?

I don't understand the question.  Will it be a certainty?  Will it increase the chances?  What do you mean?

Any of the above.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 02:56:13 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 02:23:16 PM
Any of the above.

Slightly higher chance IMO.

Hmm. Quite a few others disagree with you.

You do now, at least, understand why people take issue with the idea of keeping the parks closed, yes?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 03:03:06 PM
You do now, at least, understand why people take issue with the idea of keeping the parks closed, yes?

I've always understood it.  Democrats need some leverage to get the House to vote funding for Obamacare.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 03:05:42 PMI've always understood it.  Democrats need some leverage to get the House to vote funding for Obamacare.

:lol:

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 03:05:42 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 03:03:06 PM

I've always understood it.  Democrats need some leverage to get the House to vote funding for Obamacare.

:huh:

So then what was this all about?

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 12:14:47 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 12:07:37 PM
This piecemeal crap isn't going to help the situation. They need to get their asses back to fixing the damn budget.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't understand this logic.  If parks being closed is a bad thing, shouldn't opening them be a good thing?

Rasputin

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 10:40:55 AM
Tamas, that's pretty much how Americans - at least those who are looking at the bigger picture - feel, too.

That's certainly how liberals who would like the federal government to take care of all of us for our own good feel.  I have not missed the federal government in the least. Some of us lOoking at the big picture believe that a government shut down may help us see how blOated the federal government has become and how little it's missed by 53 per cent of Americans.
Who is John Galt?

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 03:09:25 PM
:huh:

So then what was this all about?

I've already explained.  The leverage works if the public perceives the parks as closed because the Republicans are holding it hostage.  If perception shifts, the leverage doesn't work.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Rasputin on October 04, 2013, 03:15:17 PM
That's certainly how liberals who would like the federal government to take care of all of us for our own good feel.  I have not missed the federal government in the least. Some of us lOoking at the big picture believe that a government shut down may help us see how blOated the federal government has become and how little it's missed by 53 per cent of Americans.

A lot of that other 47% may have to rethink their decision to vote Republican.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Tamas, that's pretty much how Americans - at least those who are looking at the bigger picture - feel, too.

It's lovely that it's not affected you. I'm pretty sure that that's not the case for many others.

I've a feeling those who are now effective unemployed don't feel that way. Nor those who are working without pay while their co-workers sit on their hands.

Tamas

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 03:27:58 PM

It's lovely that it's not affected you. I'm pretty sure that that's not the case for many others.

I've a feeling those who are now effective unemployed don't feel that way. Nor those who are working without pay while their co-workers sit on their hands.

Well his point is that those people should not be employed by the federal government as their is no real need for them be employed by the federal government. That might be true or not, I really have no idea. But this isn't the way to find it out.