The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 12:14:47 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 12:07:37 PM
This piecemeal crap isn't going to help the situation. They need to get their asses back to fixing the damn budget.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't understand this logic.  If parks being closed is a bad thing, shouldn't opening them be a good thing?
The logic is that by pleasing Republicans, you are giving in to their demands.  "We don't negotiate with terrorists", shouldn't that apply to the Tea Party too?  They want to hold the government hostage over the budget by shutting all funding.  Ok, they can do so.  Now, they want to compromise, so as not to look like the total fools they are.  But why should the government agree to their demands, what does Obama and the Democrats gain by pleasing the Tea Party?

I tend to agree with the Democrats position, it's everything or nothing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2013, 12:27:03 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 12:14:47 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 12:07:37 PM
This piecemeal crap isn't going to help the situation. They need to get their asses back to fixing the damn budget.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't understand this logic.  If parks being closed is a bad thing, shouldn't opening them be a good thing?
The logic is that by pleasing Republicans, you are giving in to their demands.  "We don't negotiate with terrorists", shouldn't that apply to the Tea Party too?  They want to hold the government hostage over the budget by shutting all funding.  Ok, they can do so.  Now, they want to compromise, so as not to look like the total fools they are.  But why should the government agree to their demands, what does Obama and the Democrats gain by pleasing the Tea Party?

I tend to agree with the Democrats position, it's everything or nothing.

I don't think it is a matter of everything or nothing, it is a matter of saying that funding things that are agreed upon while not funding the rest is tantamount to simply passing the House bill that defunds Oabmacare to begin with.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

It seems there are plenty of people who agree with Rasputin, though - government, who needs it; Obama is being stubborn and unreasonable: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24394644

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on October 04, 2013, 12:25:25 PM
So is the idea then that the Republican house shuts down the government by refusing to fund Obamacare, then they reasonably fix it by agreeing to piecemeal fund everything BUT Obamacare?

This doesn't reasonably follow from what I wrote.

QuoteIsn't that just giving in to their demand that the Senate pass their budget bill that includes defunding Obamacare?

Can't you make that same argument about every single part of the budget not in dispute?

That leaves us with the de facto result that the people who DON'T want some particular item funded always win, as long as they have enough to put a stop to an inclusive budget.

Short answer: yes.

I think that's the stark reality of the US budgeting process.  You have to get both houses and the president to sign off.  In the past we've generally managed to muddle through by throwing the opposition some cookies in exchange for a thumbsup.  Tip O'Neil and Ted Kennedy got the Big Dig so Reagan could have his shiny killing toys.  Bush II larded up the transportation bill with pork to buy enough Democratic votes for his tax cuts.  The difference this time around seems to be that members of the House are not amenable to being bought.

As I've said before, that looks very much like a flaw in the system, and I would be in favor of a rule that in the event of a failure to agree to a budget, the previous budget remains in effect.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2013, 12:27:03 PM

As I already said, Obama and the Democrats gain open parks.

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on October 04, 2013, 11:19:40 AM
I'll give another,

Certification for this pay period happens today.  A knob payroll exec sent out an email on the 2nd stating do nothing with pay and certify nothing. On 3 October DFAS sent out an email stating to certify all pay in SLCADA as you normally would. Problem is the knob exec and the payroll people are sitting at home. They never inputted the new job order numbers to pay people for FY14 like they were suppose to prior to the fiscal year ending. Welcome to government service. This is your government people.

It's a comedy show. I'll post more as they come up.
You got some fucked up friends elevenb4five
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 12:41:50 PMShort answer: yes.

If that's the case, you're in for a rough ride of serious economic upheaval as shit gets torn down all over the place; if all it takes is for a party to have the presidency, or a majority in either house to scupper a government program from here on out there's going to be a lot of carnage.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 04, 2013, 12:46:17 PM
If that's the case, you're in for a rough ride of serious economic upheaval as shit gets torn down all over the place; if all it takes is for a party to have the presidency, or a majority in either house to scupper a government program from here on out there's going to be a lot of carnage.

Yup.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 12:48:29 PMYup.

So yeah... irresponsible and destructive. Which should answer this question of yours:

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 12:14:47 PMAs I mentioned earlier, I don't understand this logic.  If parks being closed is a bad thing, shouldn't opening them be a good thing?

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 12:48:29 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 04, 2013, 12:46:17 PM

Yup.

Is this something that you want to see?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

grumbler

This republican offer is the equivalent of Austria-Hungary issuing the ultimatum to Serbia but offering a non-aggression pact with Russia.  Why shouldn't Imperial Russia agree to at least a partial peace deal?  They at least get partial pace.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2013, 12:54:32 PM
This republican offer is the equivalent of Austria-Hungary issuing the ultimatum to Serbia but offering a non-aggression pact with Russia.  Why shouldn't Imperial Russia agree to at least a partial peace deal?  They at least get partial pace.

You think Obama should cause WW1? Over the US budget?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 04, 2013, 12:51:07 PM

So yeah... irresponsible and destructive. Which should answer this question of yours:

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 12:14:47 PMAs I mentioned earlier, I don't understand this logic.  If parks being closed is a bad thing, shouldn't opening them be a good thing?

Not sure I see the connection between keeping parks closed and the principle of funding existing programs.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2013, 12:57:36 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 04, 2013, 12:51:07 PM

Not sure I see the connection between keeping parks closed and the principle of funding existing programs.

Obamacare is an existing program. It's been law for quite some time.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Jacob

Some bits about why Republican grassroots support shutting down the government: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-04/why-republicans-shut-down-the-government.html

Does this match your observations? If not, where is this off?