The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 04, 2013, 07:45:12 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2013, 11:23:41 PM
More liberal propaganda:

US Congressman (still getting paid) yells at Park Ranger (not getting paid), because the WWII memorial is shut down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-123whqIRjY
Yeah. Brave Stupid man while the cameras are giving him a free sound byte.

This can't play well to anyone. If it does, we're doomed and should probably throw in the towel now.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

More liberal propaganda:

US Congressman (still getting paid) yells at Park Ranger (not getting paid), because the WWII memorial is shut down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-123whqIRjY
I already posted about that in this thread. :sleep:

Anyway, she was a lot more polite than I would have been.  I think I would have said something along the lines of "Fuck you and get back to work, asshole."

Ok, I wouldn't have actually said that. :blush:  But I would have been thinking it. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2013, 06:31:02 AM
Talking with some friends of mine who work for the government, I discover, to my amusement, that the "essential" employees are actually pleased and flattered that they are 'essential" and so have to continue to work, even though they can't get paid until the shutdown is over.  They consider themselves superior to the "non-esential" employees who are sent home and also won't get paid until the shutdown is over.

The fact of the matter is that the bureaucracy is using the tag of "essential" to deny a vacation to those workers they don't want to do without.  Some of the "essential" workers probably are essential, but a lot of them (like Congressmen and Senators) are not.

Yes, they all may or may not get paid, and who knows when, but in short: the non essential personnel are getting a paid vacation to play computer games while the essential personnel are at work. Makes perfect sense to me.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 04, 2013, 08:17:58 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2013, 06:31:02 AM
Talking with some friends of mine who work for the government, I discover, to my amusement, that the "essential" employees are actually pleased and flattered that they are 'essential" and so have to continue to work, even though they can't get paid until the shutdown is over.  They consider themselves superior to the "non-esential" employees who are sent home and also won't get paid until the shutdown is over.

The fact of the matter is that the bureaucracy is using the tag of "essential" to deny a vacation to those workers they don't want to do without.  Some of the "essential" workers probably are essential, but a lot of them (like Congressmen and Senators) are not.

Yes, they all may or may not get paid, and who knows when, but in short: the non essential personnel are getting a paid vacation to play computer games while the essential personnel are at work. Makes perfect sense to me.

Oh, I love government :)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2013, 11:45:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2013, 11:36:22 PM
Well you are.  But only when it's when they disprove of Obama.

I dunno... if there's one thing that could cause Spicy to back up Obama it would be a whole bunch of foreigners being mad at him. Americans are ornery like that sometimes, and I get the impression that Spicy likes it when foreigners are upset.

... or maybe that's Ed?

Me. I love it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

I dunno... if there's one thing that could cause Spicy to back up Obama it would be a whole bunch of foreigners being mad at him. Americans are ornery like that sometimes, and I get the impression that Spicy likes it when foreigners are upset.

... or maybe that's Ed?

Well, I do piss off a foreigner at least once a day. 

But yeah, I do get a kick out of self-righteous foreigners being upset with us. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2013, 09:00:49 AM

... or maybe that's Ed?

Well, I do piss off a foreigner at least once a day. 

The more paragraphs of frothing, the better.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2013, 09:00:49 AM

Who the hell doesn't?

"Hey, he can't treat our pledges like that."
"Only we can treat our pledges like that."

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2013, 06:19:33 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 04, 2013, 01:03:33 AM
I dont drink and yes I'm pulling your chain. Speaker Boinker would have caved 30 September, if it wasnt for the teabaggers. The lions share of this shutdown goes to the teabaggers and defacto to GOP. That is fact. The moderates of the GOP need to get their voice.
You weren't kidding when you said that you haven't made a serious post on Languish since 2003.  This one is a howler.

:yucky:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 07:54:58 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 04, 2013, 07:45:12 AM
More liberal propaganda:

Yeah. Brave Stupid man while the cameras are giving him a free sound byte.

This can't play well to anyone. If it does, we're doomed and should probably throw in the towel now.

If the GOP goes through this without losing some serious face, your politics are really fucked up.

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on October 04, 2013, 10:14:41 AM
If the GOP goes through this without losing some serious face, your politics are really fucked up.

So would you say that's something that would bother you Euro-types?   :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Well we only have two parties.  They know they only have to be better than the other guys.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2013, 10:18:20 AM

Oh yes. The state not handing money out is basically the only thing Hungarians care about, politically.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2013, 10:18:20 AM

I don't think that "bother" is really the right word for non-American reactions to the current crisis.

More like 'OMG, they can't really be that stupid ... can they?" with a side-order of concern that the stupidity in question may fuck up the world economy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess