The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Well it is not like that is hard to find.  Obama is suprisingly shitty at foreign affairs.  But it is not like we have not had a government shut down before when we had a Democratic President in office.  The Republicans love to manufacture crisis that endanger the entire international economy just to score cheap political points.  The Democrats are merely corrupt and incompetent.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2013, 11:36:22 PM
Well you are.  But only when it's when they disprove of Obama.

I dunno... if there's one thing that could cause Spicy to back up Obama it would be a whole bunch of foreigners being mad at him. Americans are ornery like that sometimes, and I get the impression that Spicy likes it when foreigners are upset.

... or maybe that's Ed?

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2013, 11:45:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2013, 11:36:22 PM
Well you are.  But only when it's when they disprove of Obama.

I dunno... if there's one thing that could cause Spicy to back up Obama it would be a whole bunch of foreigners being mad at him. Americans are ornery like that sometimes, and I get the impression that Spicy likes it when foreigners are upset.

... or maybe that's Ed?

The only thing that could make Spicy back up Barack Obama is if Michelle Obama was against him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2013, 11:49:58 PM
The only thing that could make Spicy back up Barack Obama is if Michelle Obama was against him.

You sure about that, I think he's got a bit of a crush on her.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2013, 11:08:06 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 03, 2013, 10:59:54 PM
An attempt to deflect responsibility for the Obama/Reid government shutdown onto the GOP.

So, how much have you had to drink tonight? :)

I dont drink and yes I'm pulling your chain. Speaker Boinker would have caved 30 September, if it wasnt for the teabaggers. The lions share of this shutdown goes to the teabaggers and defacto to GOP. That is fact. The moderates of the GOP need to get their voice.   
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2013, 11:09:02 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 03, 2013, 10:59:54 PM
An attempt to deflect responsibility for the Obama/Reid government shutdown onto the GOP.

:lmfao:

You weren't kidding when you said you were never serious on languish.

Thats waht u colege edjumacated pipple r hear for.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2013, 10:37:48 PM
The quote of the week:

Quote"We're not going to be disrespected," Rep. Marlin Stutzman (R-Ind.) told The Washington Examiner. "We have to get something out of this. And I don't know what that even is."

And this is why your notions of "voting for the person" are flawed.  The GOP is a monolithic block of wrongness and insanity.  Sure, some of them are more articulate than this one, but they operate in tandem, and for the past few years and for the immediate future the Stutzmans have been in charge.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on October 04, 2013, 01:03:33 AM
I dont drink and yes I'm pulling your chain. Speaker Boinker would have caved 30 September, if it wasnt for the teabaggers. The lions share of this shutdown goes to the teabaggers and defacto to GOP. That is fact. The moderates of the GOP need to get their voice.
You weren't kidding when you said that you haven't made a serious post on Languish since 2003.  This one is a howler.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Talking with some friends of mine who work for the government, I discover, to my amusement, that the "essential" employees are actually pleased and flattered that they are 'essential" and so have to continue to work, even though they can't get paid until the shutdown is over.  They consider themselves superior to the "non-esential" employees who are sent home and also won't get paid until the shutdown is over.

The fact of the matter is that the bureaucracy is using the tag of "essential" to deny a vacation to those workers they don't want to do without.  Some of the "essential" workers probably are essential, but a lot of them (like Congressmen and Senators) are not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2013, 01:45:20 PM
The constitution :mellow:

The GOP has zero cred when trying to use the "Constitution" to justify their actions.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on October 04, 2013, 06:19:33 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 04, 2013, 01:03:33 AM
You weren't kidding when you said that you haven't made a serious post on Languish since 2003.  This one is a howler.
I'm not sure how your stated opinion is different from that above statement by 11B4V. :unsure: Is it that you assign most of the blame to the Speaker for caving into the teabaggers, rather than assigning it to the teabaggers themselves?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 04, 2013, 05:00:33 AM
The quote of the week:

Quote"We're not going to be disrespected," Rep. Marlin Stutzman (R-Ind.) told The Washington Examiner. "We have to get something out of this. And I don't know what that even is."

And this is why your notions of "voting for the person" are flawed.  The GOP is a monolithic block of wrongness and insanity.  Sure, some of them are more articulate than this one, but they operate in tandem, and for the past few years and for the immediate future the Stutzmans have been in charge.

:yawn:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 04, 2013, 07:03:43 AM
I'm not sure how your stated opinion is different from that above statement by 11B4V. :unsure: Is it that you assign most of the blame to the Speaker for caving into the teabaggers, rather than assigning it to the teabaggers themselves?
It is possible that I wasn't being completely serious.  :D

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2013, 07:14:47 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 04, 2013, 05:00:33 AM
The quote of the week:

:yawn:

A yuppie Gen Y Manhattanite is unpatriotic and will jump at the chance to align with people who would put him in two different kinds of camps, if given half the opportunity, all over the prospect of slightly lower taxes?  Now that's boring.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2013, 11:23:41 PM
More liberal propaganda:

US Congressman (still getting paid) yells at Park Ranger (not getting paid), because the WWII memorial is shut down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-123whqIRjY
Yeah. Brave man while the cameras are giving him a free sound byte.
PDH!