19-year-old Dutch kid ready to clean up the ocean

Started by merithyn, September 16, 2013, 09:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 16, 2013, 11:43:04 AM
Yes.

Doesn't make it any less valuable, I think. If it makes money, I guess that's a bonus.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Serious question: is there really that much trash in the ocean?  I know there's that Pacific Garbage Patch thing, but isn't that in the part of the ocean that's basically a 'desert' and doesn't have much surface life? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 16, 2013, 11:41:35 AM
He also says that he wishes that weren't the case, that he wished people would do it because it's the right thing to do, but he recognizes that that's not how the world works today.

Awwwww.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2013, 11:41:11 AM
So you admit you are holding an insincere stance?

No, I am holding an obnoxious stance.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Caliga on September 16, 2013, 11:48:00 AM
Serious question: is there really that much trash in the ocean?  I know there's that Pacific Garbage Patch thing, but isn't that in the part of the ocean that's basically a 'desert' and doesn't have much surface life? :hmm:

Could it be a dead area because of all the plastic particles floating there? Or was it dead before?

BTW, there was some pictures in the news recently of a big garbage patch flaoting in the pacific with a lot of the Japanese sunami trash. It looked like a lot to me.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2013, 11:51:34 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2013, 11:41:11 AM
So you admit you are holding an insincere stance?

No, I am holding an obnoxious stance.

If you are willing to relax the pose once a positive change occurs for your own person, doesn't seem sincerely held.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

According to this kid, it's pretty pervasive. He's done a good bit more research on it than I have, so I'll defer to his knowledge.

garbon

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 16, 2013, 11:51:54 AM

Could it be a dead area because of all the plastic particles floating there? Or was it dead before?

BTW, there was some pictures in the news recently of a big garbage patch flaoting in the pacific with a lot of the Japanese sunami trash. It looked like a lot to me.

According to wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_garbage_patch
QuoteThe patch is not easily visible because it consists of very small pieces, almost invisible to the naked eye, most of its contents are suspended beneath the surface of the ocean, and the relatively low density of the plastic debris at, in one scientific study, 5.1 kilograms of plastic per square kilometer of ocean area.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on September 16, 2013, 11:48:00 AM
He also says that he wishes that weren't the case, that he wished people would do it because it's the right thing to do, but he recognizes that that's not how the world works today.

Awwwww.

:mellow:

How condescending. Personally, I agree with him, as do most people I would hazard a guess.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 16, 2013, 11:55:44 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 16, 2013, 11:48:00 AM

Awwwww.

:mellow:

How condescending. Personally, I agree with him, as do most people I would hazard a guess.

I'm not looking down on you, dear.  Just the kid.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 16, 2013, 11:59:17 AM
I'm not looking down on you, dear.  Just the kid.

Yeah what a loser.  At 19 I had 100 Engineers working on a feasbility study for my ideas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I think it's cute that Meri went all Timmay over this.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Worthless.  In a couple of decades I am dead and I won't care.  Why be bothered about it now?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM