Pastor has sex with teens to cure them of homosexuality

Started by merithyn, September 12, 2013, 12:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Yeah, it was pretty bad.  His dad had died a few years before, which I was kind of glad about because his dad was a judge AND a really great guy to boot, and it would have been really hard on him.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 02:05:16 PM
If the kid was of age, what would he have pled guilty to?

I would've guessed public indency or some variation, since he was banging him in a car, but drugs also work.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

I'm kind of fuzzy on the details now, but he gave him drugs and I think booze, and probably some indecent exposure stuff due to it being in a car (I think the car was parked behind a strip mall).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2013, 01:09:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2013, 12:52:53 PM
You need more judges from Alberta

You are perhaps unfamiliar with the decision of R v Ewanchuk, where the SCC (and L'Hereux-Dube in particular) crapped all over several Alberta judge fors the decision in a sexual assault case.  In particular, the Court of Appeal justice who commented that the complainant was not dressed "in a bonnet and crinolines" was been repeatedly denounced from coast to coast...

You are right.  I am not.

Let me rephrase.  You need less judges like the ones from Alberta.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on September 12, 2013, 01:50:28 PM
Something about this story doesn't make sense.  How is homosexual sex supposed to cure you of homosexuality?

The beating aftwards has Pavlovian effects.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2013, 02:27:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2013, 01:09:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2013, 12:52:53 PM
You need more judges from Alberta

You are perhaps unfamiliar with the decision of R v Ewanchuk, where the SCC (and L'Hereux-Dube in particular) crapped all over several Alberta judge fors the decision in a sexual assault case.  In particular, the Court of Appeal justice who commented that the complainant was not dressed "in a bonnet and crinolines" was been repeatedly denounced from coast to coast...

You are right.  I am not.

Let me rephrase.  You need less judges like the ones from Alberta.

In case you're curious.

http://canlii.ca/en/ca/scc/doc/1999/1999canlii711/1999canlii711.html
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Phillip V

All counseling/therapy of youth should be supervised or at least video-audited.

Viking

Quote from: Phillip V on September 12, 2013, 03:26:38 PM
All counseling/therapy of youth should be supervised or at least video-audited.

Usually counseling requires a qualification and professional standards of some sort, at least the regular secular ones do. Religious organizations get exemptions for this and don't have to meet any requirements for qualifications and professional standards. In any organization other than a church you would have to prove that you actually have skills and knowledge before being let anywhere near children or young adults.

I can't find any justification or reasoning for freeing a man sentenced to 17 years prison on parole immediately. Is this standard practice?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2013, 03:31:31 PM
I can't find any justification or reasoning for freeing a man sentenced to 17 years prison on parole immediately. Is this standard practice?

As a guess I'd say it's mandatory minimums + alternative sentencing.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 03:34:47 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2013, 03:31:31 PM

As a guess I'd say it's mandatory minimums + alternative sentencing.

so, it's a case of "the laws says you should go to prison for 17 years but I'm going to let you go immediately"?

Edit: doesn't the judge have to explain himself when he goes off script?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2013, 03:45:01 PM
so, it's a case of "the laws says you should go to prison for 17 years but I'm going to let you go immediately"?

I'm guessing it's a case of "if you go to prison, you have to do at least X, but we have this option whereby you can undergo deprogramming to avoid prison."

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 03:46:41 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2013, 03:45:01 PM

I'm guessing it's a case of "if you go to prison, you have to do at least X, but we have this option whereby you can undergo deprogramming to avoid prison."

Yeah, I can see that being the case for a first time offense or somebody who handed himself in, but neither applies in this case. Systematic long term use of a privileged position to conduct repeated molestation and sexual assault (not rape rape if I understand the case correctly, just circle jerks) of minors entrusted to his care in my mind qualifies for some prison time.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2013, 02:07:37 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 12, 2013, 01:50:28 PM
Something about this story doesn't make sense.  How is homosexual sex supposed to cure you of homosexuality?

Well, if it was with some folks, it would have that effect.  :D

Exactly. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2013, 03:54:48 PM
Yeah, I can see that being the case for a first time offense or somebody who handed himself in, but neither applies in this case. Systematic long term use of a privileged position to conduct repeated molestation and sexual assault (not rape rape if I understand the case correctly, just circle jerks) of minors entrusted to his care in my mind qualifies for some prison time.

No, no. Don't confuse the issue. He had full-penetration sex with these kids who were entrusted to his care to help them.

And no jail time because he just needs therapy and he'll be fine. Like the guy in Montana.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Scipio

That's just Iowa, Jake.

Let me be clearer: west of the Mississippi and east of the Rockies, you take your life into your own hands.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt