Pastor has sex with teens to cure them of homosexuality

Started by merithyn, September 12, 2013, 12:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Viking, it really isn't necessary for you to take up Martinus' horrible analogy banner.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

merithyn

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 13, 2013, 07:55:30 PM
Two points:

1) A suspended sentence is not an imaginary sentence.  Incarceration for a portion or the entirety of suspended sentences are routinely imposed on people for violating conditions of probation, which are often quite extensive/restrictive and can last for years and years.  Having serious prison time hanging over your head is quite different than a straight probationary sentence.

BFD

The guy in Montana had "serious prison time" hanging over his head, and he ended up with 30 days when he fucked that up, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't weep for either of these two.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: merithyn on September 13, 2013, 10:58:21 PM
Two points:

1) A suspended sentence is not an imaginary sentence.  Incarceration for a portion or the entirety of suspended sentences are routinely imposed on people for violating conditions of probation, which are often quite extensive/restrictive and can last for years and years.  Having serious prison time hanging over your head is quite different than a straight probationary sentence.

BFD

The guy in Montana had "serious prison time" hanging over his head, and he ended up with 30 days when he fucked that up, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't weep for either of these two.

That was quite clearly an exceptional situation (thus the legitimate outrage nationwide), and it seemed like his violation was, at the risk of being tarred as a minimizer, fairly technical (IIRC he had done the bulk of his required sex offender classes and was "kicked out" for missing a few for scheduling reasons, but I could be wrong), rather than e.g. picking up a new sex charge, failing to report to his PO for weeks, etc.

I have very little interest in defending the short incarceration sentence the Montana dirtbag received, and even less in defending this guy's sentence.  I certainly have no interest in trying to get you to weep for them. 

But I do have an interest in helping Americans better understand the nature of a criminal punishment system that is, outrageous anomalies aside, excessively punitive and, especially, excessively reliant on incarceration as a solution. 

In North Carolina, for instance, stat rape was treated the same as forcible rape; for an adult (>19 or maybe 20) who had "consensual" sex with a 15 y.o., the presumptive sentence was 240 months imprisonment, to serve.  So 15 would quite literally get you 20.

Just to provide a broader perspective on the system that occasionally produces these admittedly lenient sentences that get people overly riled up and willing to endorse a generally very harsh system (mandatory minimums, excessive sex offender registry requirements, and excessive punishments for e.g. failing to update your address within 14 days when your sex offense occurred 30 years ago. [I saw that scenario in Knoxville, where a man who plead guilty to accessory to rape as a 16 year old in 1980 served 8 years of a 20 year sentence in the state pen, did the rest on parole without an incident, and only got a single marijuana charge around 2002 in the whole time from 1988 onward.  For the registry violation in 2011, when he moved into his girlfriend's retirement community and the cop couldn't get through the gates to the complex and reported, he served 120 days in the county jail -- after pleading to a felony violation to avoid the full 2 years behind bars he faced under the statute.]
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on September 13, 2013, 10:58:21 PM
Two points:

BFD

The guy in Montana wasn't a faggot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Habbaku on September 13, 2013, 09:09:11 PM
Viking, it really isn't necessary for you to take up Martinus' horrible analogy banner.

The place just hasn't been the same since he left... :cry:  :lmfao:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 15, 2013, 07:09:04 PM
That was quite clearly an exceptional situation (thus the legitimate outrage nationwide), and it seemed like his violation was, at the risk of being tarred as a minimizer, fairly technical (IIRC he had done the bulk of his required sex offender classes and was "kicked out" for missing a few for scheduling reasons, but I could be wrong), rather than e.g. picking up a new sex charge, failing to report to his PO for weeks, etc.

I have very little interest in defending the short incarceration sentence the Montana dirtbag received, and even less in defending this guy's sentence.  I certainly have no interest in trying to get you to weep for them. 

But I do have an interest in helping Americans better understand the nature of a criminal punishment system that is, outrageous anomalies aside, excessively punitive and, especially, excessively reliant on incarceration as a solution. 

In North Carolina, for instance, stat rape was treated the same as forcible rape; for an adult (>19 or maybe 20) who had "consensual" sex with a 15 y.o., the presumptive sentence was 240 months imprisonment, to serve.  So 15 would quite literally get you 20.

Just to provide a broader perspective on the system that occasionally produces these admittedly lenient sentences that get people overly riled up and willing to endorse a generally very harsh system (mandatory minimums, excessive sex offender registry requirements, and excessive punishments for e.g. failing to update your address within 14 days when your sex offense occurred 30 years ago. [I saw that scenario in Knoxville, where a man who plead guilty to accessory to rape as a 16 year old in 1980 served 8 years of a 20 year sentence in the state pen, did the rest on parole without an incident, and only got a single marijuana charge around 2002 in the whole time from 1988 onward.  For the registry violation in 2011, when he moved into his girlfriend's retirement community and the cop couldn't get through the gates to the complex and reported, he served 120 days in the county jail -- after pleading to a felony violation to avoid the full 2 years behind bars he faced under the statute.]

:mellow:

Okay? I'm pretty sure that I've never said that there should be mandatory sentencing for anyone. I said that I think these two particular scum bags didn't get anywhere near the amount of time that they deserved.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: merithyn on September 15, 2013, 08:19:22 PM
:mellow:

Okay? I'm pretty sure that I've never said that there should be mandatory sentencing for anyone. I said that I think these two particular scum bags didn't get anywhere near the amount of time that they deserved.

I'm suggesting that getting overly exercised about very exceptional situations can and has lead to bad social consequences.  I.e. the "tough on crime," "war on drugs," "no-frills prisons" wave of punitive legislation that took off during the mid-80s through the mid-90s.

For instance, your legitimate anger over the 30-day term in Mont., as well no immediate incarceration for this guy, seemed to have lead you to misunderstand and denounce suspended sentences as bullshit, while they are in fact quite real, especially for people -- unlike these two men -- with very few social/financial/educational resources.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

garbon

Good.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2013, 09:58:27 PM

Good.

Meh, enjoy funding the prison-industrial complex, what with our highest rate of incarceration in the world.  :)  We even beat Russia and PRChina!

And of course a rate ridiculously high for black men in general, and something insane for black male high-school dropouts.

And certainly 20 years in prison is a proportionate reaction to the crime committed.  God knows there'll be plenty of opportunities for the offender to be rehabilitated and productive once he's 50 with no skills other than those he learned in prison (which is, of course, the most violent and misogynistic environment in America).  :)

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2013, 09:58:27 PM

Good.
:wacko: