Pastor has sex with teens to cure them of homosexuality

Started by merithyn, September 12, 2013, 12:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

This may be the only time since Mihali joined the dark side, but, I agree with Mihali.  US mandatory minimum sentences, and sentencing regimes in general, and insane.  I wish Canadian sentences were a little bit higher in general, but US sentences are orders of magnitude higher than what we hand out here.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 15, 2013, 09:29:31 PM

For instance, your legitimate anger over the 30-day term in Mont., as well no immediate incarceration for this guy, seemed to have lead you to misunderstand and denounce suspended sentences as bullshit, while they are in fact quite real, especially for people -- unlike these two men -- with very few social/financial/educational resources.

They are bullshit in these cases. These two men are still out, walking around, and fully capable of harming others again. On top of that, the victims are left to feel vulnerable all over again, as they feel like the courts have let them down. Because a suspended sentence isn't the same as jail time.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2013, 11:31:44 PM
This may be the only time since Mihali joined the dark side, but, I agree with Mihali.  US mandatory minimum sentences, and sentencing regimes in general, and insane.  I wish Canadian sentences were a little bit higher in general, but US sentences are orders of magnitude higher than what we hand out here.

Agreed.

Of course, there's an issue with those who deserve jail time not getting it, too. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: merithyn on September 16, 2013, 08:51:47 AM

For instance, your legitimate anger over the 30-day term in Mont., as well no immediate incarceration for this guy, seemed to have lead you to misunderstand and denounce suspended sentences as bullshit, while they are in fact quite real, especially for people -- unlike these two men -- with very few social/financial/educational resources.

They are bullshit in these cases. These two men are still out, walking around, and fully capable of harming others again. On top of that, the victims are left to feel vulnerable all over again, as they feel like the courts have let them down. Because a suspended sentence isn't the same as jail time.

OK, I don't see you disputing anything I actually wrote, and you're agreeing with Barrister agreeing with me, so I guess we've wrapped it up.  :mellow:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

merithyn

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 16, 2013, 11:24:42 AM
Quote from: merithyn on September 16, 2013, 08:51:47 AM

OK, I don't see you disputing anything I actually wrote, and you're agreeing with Barrister agreeing with me, so I guess we've wrapped it up.  :mellow:

I never understood the point of your posts at all, and said so. I assumed that you were arguing in general rather than with me since you kept it up after I asked.

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 15, 2013, 11:13:22 PM
Meh, enjoy funding the prison-industrial complex, what with our highest rate of incarceration in the world.  :)  We even beat Russia and PRChina!

And of course a rate ridiculously high for black men in general, and something insane for black male high-school dropouts.

And certainly 20 years in prison is a proportionate reaction to the crime committed.  God knows there'll be plenty of opportunities for the offender to be rehabilitated and productive once he's 50 with no skills other than those he learned in prison (which is, of course, the most violent and misogynistic environment in America).  :)

None of which is new or likely to change substantially if NC changed its laws on sentencing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: merithyn on September 16, 2013, 11:43:14 AMI never understood the point of your posts at all, and said so. I assumed that you were arguing in general rather than with me since you kept it up after I asked.

I was arguing in general. :huh: You didn't ask me anything, or say that my posts were pointless; you wrote "BFD" under a quote from part of my post and made it specific to your points. 

I truly have no beef with you on this (or in general) so I guess we were just talking past each other.  :hug:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2013, 11:45:36 AM
None of which is new or likely to change substantially if NC changed its laws on sentencing.

So?

The Brain

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 16, 2013, 03:16:21 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 16, 2013, 11:43:14 AMI never understood the point of your posts at all, and said so. I assumed that you were arguing in general rather than with me since you kept it up after I asked.

I was arguing in general. :huh: You didn't ask me anything, or say that my posts were pointless; you wrote "BFD" under a quote from part of my post and made it specific to your points. 

I truly have no beef with you on this (or in general) so I guess we were just talking past each other.  :hug:

[Meri] TTYN [/Meri]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 16, 2013, 03:16:55 PM

So?

Then I don't see why that is relevant.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

merithyn

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 16, 2013, 03:16:21 PM

Okay. :hug:

Ideologue

Meh, enjoy funding the prison-industrial complex, what with our highest rate of incarceration in the world.  :)  We even beat Russia and PRChina!

That's the part that makes me really sick.  Russia, sure, they're almost not even a big country anymore.  But the PRC?  That's awful.

I'm also unsure as to why garbon thinks that reducing sentences wouldn't reduce "demand" for prisons.  It's possible that by reducing sentences across the board, fewer people will get suspended sentences, plea deals, etc. (which is in part a reaction to overcrowding), and the existing capacity will continue to be filled.  But I don't feel that that's unavoidable.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2013, 03:43:14 PM

That's the part that makes me really sick.  Russia, sure, they're almost not even a big country anymore.  But the PRC?  That's awful.

I'm also unsure as to why garbon thinks that reducing sentences wouldn't reduce "demand" for prisons.  It's possible that by reducing sentences across the board, fewer people will get suspended sentences, plea deals, etc. (which is in part a reaction to overcrowding), and the existing capacity will continue to be filled.  But I don't feel that that's unavoidable.

Now I'm getting quoted for things that I didn't say and then summarized in positions I didn't take?

Ideologue

Oops, sorry, dude.

I was quoting Mihali's post out of yours, but also referring to your stance here:

Quote from: garbonNone of which is new or likely to change substantially if NC changed its laws on sentencing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)