News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

9/11

Started by garbon, September 11, 2013, 08:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on September 11, 2013, 02:09:08 PM
I can't wait until 9/11 Memorial Day is moved to the second Monday in September so we can have a 3 day weekend and a tire sale.

It'll still never beat several retailers' traditional White Sale on Martin Luther King Jr's Birthday.

garbon

They sell white people? Where can I get one?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Here's a 9/11 anniversary celebration everybody can get behind:  MOAR BENGHAZI PLZ

QuoteOn Anniversary of Benghazi Attacks, Issa Honors Heroes and Announces Hearing for Next Week
September 11, 2013

WASHINGTON – House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa, R-Calif., today released the following statement commemorating the one year anniversary of the September 11, 2012 terror attacks in Benghazi and announcing a hearing with the Accountability Review Board co-chairs next Thursday, September 19th at 9:30 a.m.

"One year ago, four Americans were killed in a vicious and planned attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi. Today, we remember Ambassador Christopher Stevens, Sean Smith, Glen Doherty, and Tyrone S. Woods, who served their country honorably and died protecting it. We also remember their families and colleagues, who will always keenly feel their loss," Chairman Issa stated.

"The attack in Benghazi was a painful reminder that even a decade after September 11th there are still those who wish us harm, who would destroy our way of life and who are actively planning the next assault. The only way we can truly protect the lives of Americans at home and abroad is to be honest about the ongoing threats we face and tireless in our response to them. Yet in the year since Benghazi, we have seen a total lack of accountability from this Administration and many important questions have still not been answered. We still do not know who was in charge and making decisions the night of the attack nor do we know who was responsible for policy decisions that set a course seeking a smaller U.S. security presence in a dangerous environment.

"From denying the Committee access to survivors of the attack to refusing to turn over key documents, the Administration's continual reluctance to cooperate with our investigation is flatly unacceptable. Next week I will convene a hearing to receive testimony from the State Department's Accountability Review Board co-chairs, members of the Department's security panel that conducted a review, and family members who lost loved-ones in the attacks.  Considering that the State Department's 'accountability' review board has yielded no disciplinary action, none of the terrorists have been brought to justice, and we still don't have key answers about what happened before, during and after the attack, Benghazi remains an important and unresolved matter."

Razgovory

He intends to celebrate by burning down something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/11/911-memorial-vandalized_n_3907660.html

Vandalism by cardboard. :(

QuoteLouisiana 9/11 Memorial Vandalized With Exploding Planes, Truther Images

A 9/11 memorial in Lafayette, La., was targeted by vandals on the eve of the 12th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

In a controversial bit of guerrilla "art," suspects attached two cardboard cutouts of planes exploding into the monument's model of the World Trade Center towers, KATC reported. The planes included references to the New World Order and the Eye of Providence, two popular themes among conspiracy theorists and truthers who question the details of the 9/11 attacks.

A viewer photo at KATC suggests a cartoon cutout of President George W. Bush was also found nearby. Police are reportedly searching for suspects.

The Lafayette monument includes three 13.5-foot beams from the fallen towers, used to create a 1-to-100 scale model of the World Trade Center. It also includes limestone panels from the Pentagon building and soil from the field in Shanksville, Pa., where Flight 93 crashed. The memorial was dedicated on Sept. 11, 2002, a year after the attacks.

Similar memorials have been defaced around the country in the past, sometimes in more malicious fashion. Earlier this year in New York, a group of young people tore off a plaque honoring local heroes from a monument and ripped down flags from the surrounding area. A few weeks later, vandals in Pennsylvania also pried off a bronze plaque from a Sept. 11 display.

sbr

Why would Lafayette Louisiana have such a large 9/11 memorial?

The Brain

Quote from: sbr on September 13, 2013, 10:35:50 AM

In pre-literary societies physical manifestations are important for collective memory.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Those memorial vandals are pathetic fucks.

lustindarkness

If I happen to witness vandalism of a memorial my PTSD may kick in.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: sbr on September 13, 2013, 10:35:50 AM

I think the size of the beams dictates that any used in a memorial will make it a big affair.

As to why Lafayette has one I don't know.

Incidentally London had a similar memorial including one or two beams, and within a couple of years it was taken down, just recently found and they're now wandering what to do with it. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

What did London do to deserve beams?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2013, 02:44:07 PM
What did London do to deserve beams?

They had a lot left over, so shipped them around the world? 

Google and there's some recent story about them I vaguely recall. 

edit:
maybe I'm right, though this story was a bit misleading until I got to the 2nd paragraph:
http://www.wane.com/news/9_11-beam-arrives-in-angola

QuoteA beam from one of the World Trade Center towers arrived in Angola Friday.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Google says it was for the 67 Britons who died.