News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No more shark fin for Mono on the public dime

Started by The Larch, September 16, 2013, 02:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2013, 03:16:52 PM
Do sharks perform any ecologically useful function?

I don't think they increase shareholder value, if that's what you mean.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2013, 03:45:35 PM
I don't think they increase shareholder value, if that's what you mean.

Ground control to Major Tom.

Eddie Teach

179 attacks, 3 fatalities. That's pathetic, sharks.  :nelson:

(Guess that really means we don't taste very good so they nibble then go on their way).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Where was i reading/hearing about sharks biting humans to see if it's a meat they like to eat?  Was that here?

The Larch

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 16, 2013, 03:59:35 PM
179 attacks, 3 fatalities. That's pathetic, sharks.  :nelson:

(Guess that really means we don't taste very good so they nibble then go on their way).

AFAIK the theory is that once the bite, they realize that it's not one of their usual prey and they let go, unless they feel threatened. Or something like that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2013, 04:01:32 PM
Where was i reading/hearing about sharks biting humans to see if it's a meat they like to eat?  Was that here?

Yeah, that was in the thread talking about why Orca dont attack humans.  Forget what thread though.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Not sure... but I read something similar recently, that sharks bite to find out what kind of creature you are and then let go - as Larch says - when they realize you're not their usual prey.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 16, 2013, 04:10:42 PMYeah, that was in the thread talking about why Orca dont attack humans.  Forget what thread though.

Right! :cheers:

The Larch

Sharks and orcas are slightly different, though. Orcas have much higher brain development than sharks, but sharks have some crazy ways to detect and analyze blood through sensorial means unavailable to other animals. Meaning, thus, that they might not know what you are until they bite you.  :P

Ideologue

Yeah, orcas locate prey differently: they have very sensitive sonar, which is how they manage to identify people as people rather than, say, seals.  We sound very different, and my hypothesis was that we sound so unlike food that their reaction is one of curiosity rather than eating us.

I certainly doubt that they recognize our "kindred spirits" instinctively or through deduction, like hippies tend to aver.  I suppose it's possible that they may understand that boats, with their speed, size, and noise, are the works of humans, and therefore treat us with respect due to our apparent and mysterious power.  But I feel like that's reaching given how little information they have to go on.

In any event, we probably smell different from shark prey, too, but I'd bet it's not as striking as the completely different acoustic profile we have from a blubbered-up seal.  I dunno.  We could throw some Americans into an orca pod and see what happens.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I watched a special on that, too.  We're simply not its preferred food source, and shark bites are theorized to be just a taste, like The Larch says.  Unfortunately, they are samplings that humans have a habit of bleeding out from once the shark says, "mmm, nah". 
They have shitty vision, and their food sources are found on the surface;  that's why you rarely see any attacks on scuba divers or on those fools that go on "swimming with the sharks" tours down on the ocean floor:  that's not where they eat.

KRonn

There have been more shark attacks of the coast of Massachusetts which is said to be caused by a larger seal population along the coast in protected areas. The seals attract sharks and humans are therefor under more risk.