Police fitness test 'is biased in favour of fat male officers'

Started by jimmy olsen, September 10, 2013, 12:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

We won WW2 with more primitive shit. 

I wonder if it's Parkinson's Law of bureaucracy, the more we develop systems to process information quickly and efficiently, the more bullshit admin work we create to make use of it.  At least, it seems that way in the government realm.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 10, 2013, 07:43:02 PM
I work in billing. What, exactly, should I be using to tally up accounts?

If I worked in billing, I would shoot myself.  I get enough stupid billing questions from clients as it is.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 10, 2013, 09:47:48 PM

We also found gays to be security risks back then because we made it so dreadful to be openly homosexual. Yay?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on September 10, 2013, 09:53:33 PM

If I worked in billing, I would shoot myself.  I get enough stupid billing questions from clients as it is.

I hate whenever they get me involved in billing. No thank you!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 10, 2013, 09:53:57 PM

We also found gays to be security risks back then because we made it so dreadful to be openly homosexual. Yay?

"Back then"?  As in, 2007?

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2013, 09:25:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2013, 08:09:04 PM
How would Excel save any key strokes?
Numbers have to come from somewhere before they need to be added up.  It's easier to automatically or semi-automatically link that "somewhere" to an Excel workbook rather than a calculator.

Except that none - yes, NONE - of our software can be uploaded to an Excel workbook. It would all have to be done by hand, whether it's done with Excel or an adding machine.

Most of the time, I use the adding machine for the easier crap. If it's really complicated, I use Excel. That's not common.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2013, 09:55:39 PM

"Back then"?  As in, 2007?

Fair -_-

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 10, 2013, 09:54:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 10, 2013, 09:53:33 PM

I hate whenever they get me involved in billing. No thank you!

Yer welcome! :)

The billing stuff I don't mind so much. It's the damn customer service folks that drive me insane.

"What do you mean that we can't just reinstate them? It's only been six months! They've offered to pay half of the backpay, and will pay the rest next week!" :frusty:

Neil

It was a better time.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on September 10, 2013, 09:56:37 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2013, 09:25:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2013, 08:09:04 PM
How would Excel save any key strokes?
Numbers have to come from somewhere before they need to be added up.  It's easier to automatically or semi-automatically link that "somewhere" to an Excel workbook rather than a calculator.

Except that none - yes, NONE - of our software can be uploaded to an Excel workbook. It would all have to be done by hand, whether it's done with Excel or an adding machine.

Most of the time, I use the adding machine for the easier crap. If it's really complicated, I use Excel. That's not common.
There is no way to get any raw data out of it?

merithyn

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on September 10, 2013, 10:40:57 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2013, 10:35:51 PM

:secret: That's what none means. :secret:
Well, you were talking about "software being uploaded into Excel workbook", which means nothing other than that the person saying it is not a data flow expert, so I wanted to clarify and confirm.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2013, 10:47:55 PM

Well, you were talking about "software being uploaded into Excel workbook", which means nothing other than that the person saying it is not a data flow expert, so I wanted to clarify and confirm.

:mellow:

Fuck off, dick.

Razgovory

Looks like you could make some money consulting.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on September 10, 2013, 10:53:10 PM

:mellow:

Fuck off, dick.
What an eloquent, yet biting put-down.