Police fitness test 'is biased in favour of fat male officers'

Started by jimmy olsen, September 10, 2013, 12:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 10, 2013, 07:44:46 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 10, 2013, 07:43:02 PM
:yeahright:

I work in billing. What, exactly, should I be using to tally up accounts?

Yeah, that looks a lot like mine, actually. :)

Accounting software on a computer.

Great. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on September 10, 2013, 07:43:02 PM
I work in billing. What, exactly, should I be using to tally up accounts?
Excel?  Special software?  I may be missing the nuance of billing work, but it sounds to me that if you have to manually input numbers to do the calculations, then you're missing a process improvement or ten that could really save you time and errors.

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Makes it easier to troubleshoot when she makes a mistake.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 10, 2013, 08:14:08 PM
Makes it easier to troubleshoot when she makes a mistake.

How so?  Numbers don't add up on the machine, i have to look through the tape.  Numbers don't add up on Excel, I have to look through the cells.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2013, 11:18:26 AM
But that's the thing - does "the street" really prioritize sheer strength?

I won't deny it - a 5'1" 110lb female officer is at a distinct disadvantage if it comes to a physical brawl.  We have some of those over here as well, and I've seen a couple files where things would have gone differently if the officer on scene was a hulking male.

But how often do those kinds of brawls happen?  Pretty infrequently or even rarely.  For 99% of their time, even 99.9% of their time, sheer physical strength isn't important.  And instead there are tremendous advantages to having a diverse police force.  From the purely practical (need female officers to search female prisoners), to investigative (a female officer may be much more likely to get the rape victim to talk).

How do you square that circle?  I dunno.  But there are competing objectives.
But it's that .1% that really matters, that's life and death.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on September 10, 2013, 08:24:14 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 10, 2013, 07:44:46 PM
Accounting software on a computer.

And how do I reconcile the accounts?

Someone will be along in a while, to tell you they run and view their entire life through the prism of excel spreadsheets.   :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on September 10, 2013, 08:29:36 PM
Someone will be along in a while, to tell you they run and view their entire life through the prism of excel spreadsheets.   :D

We use those, too. :smarty:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2013, 08:09:04 PM
How would Excel save any key strokes?
Numbers have to come from somewhere before they need to be added up.  It's easier to automatically or semi-automatically link that "somewhere" to an Excel workbook rather than a calculator.

CountDeMoney

DGuller

CountDeMoney

"Plus" is imbedded in the adding process by default.  You want "minus", put it in reverse, Rain Man.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2013, 09:32:40 PM
"Plus" is imbedded in the adding process by default.  You want "minus", put it in reverse, Rain Man.
:hmm: No wonder you want to bludgeon people with that thing.  That's the only thing it's good for.

garbon

Shit, we accidentally awoke the crazy cat lady luddite. :(

If it ain't old and useless with a cat pawprint on it, he ain't having it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.