Police fitness test 'is biased in favour of fat male officers'

Started by jimmy olsen, September 10, 2013, 12:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: dps on September 10, 2013, 07:17:53 AM
Who hijacked Meri's account in this thread?

She has always had this opinion.   She just wants people treated fairly.  I mean...presuming you were not being sarcastic or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2013, 02:34:25 AM
QuotePolice fitness test 'is biased in favour of fat male officers' because it prioritises strength

That's because the street prioritizes strength. 

I've seen a female officer tossed around a bar like a rag doll by her hair.  I've had to help a female officer fight to keep her gun in a pile.  I've known female officers with hand strength too weak to break the seal on a can of OC spray.  Been in a lot of situations with female officers where, if they were by themselves, somebody would be dead: either them, or the suspect they'd be forced to shoot because they fail the continuum of force.  Hell, read in the paper not long ago about a female officer that was robbed of her own gun.  IN HER CAR.

5'1" 110lbs female officers are at a distinct disadvantage because of a lack of strength, and wind up putting their male counterparts at a disadvantage as well.  And in the ER with the injuries to prove it.

But that's the thing - does "the street" really prioritize sheer strength?

I won't deny it - a 5'1" 110lb female officer is at a distinct disadvantage if it comes to a physical brawl.  We have some of those over here as well, and I've seen a couple files where things would have gone differently if the officer on scene was a hulking male.

But how often do those kinds of brawls happen?  Pretty infrequently or even rarely.  For 99% of their time, even 99.9% of their time, sheer physical strength isn't important.  And instead there are tremendous advantages to having a diverse police force.  From the purely practical (need female officers to search female prisoners), to investigative (a female officer may be much more likely to get the rape victim to talk).

How do you square that circle?  I dunno.  But there are competing objectives.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2013, 11:18:26 AM

I won't deny it - a 5'1" 110lb female officer is at a distinct disadvantage if it comes to a physical brawl.  We have some of those over here as well, and I've seen a couple files where things would have gone differently if the officer on scene was a hulking male.

But how often do those kinds of brawls happen?  Pretty infrequently or even rarely.  For 99% of their time, even 99.9% of their time, sheer physical strength isn't important.  And instead there are tremendous advantages to having a diverse police force.  From the purely practical (need female officers to search female prisoners), to investigative (a female officer may be much more likely to get the rape victim to talk).

And 99% of the time, an officer doesn't draw their gun. When they do, I want to know that they can hit what they're aiming for.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2013, 10:42:13 AM
Quote from: dps on September 10, 2013, 07:17:53 AM
Who hijacked Meri's account in this thread?

She has always had this opinion.   She just wants people treated fairly.  I mean...presuming you were not being sarcastic or something.

Don't confuse them, Valmy.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on September 10, 2013, 12:50:51 PM

And 99% of the time, an officer doesn't draw their gun. When they do, I want to know that they can hit what they're aiming for.

99.9% of the time an officer draws their firearm, they don't fire it.  Cops can go their entire career without discharging their firearm.

But that being said - basic marksmanship is a teachable skill, and is something every recruit can learn.  It's not something innate like physical size is.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2013, 12:56:31 PM

99.9% of the time an officer draws their firearm, they don't fire it.  Cops can go their entire career without discharging their firearm.

But that being said - basic marksmanship is a teachable skill, and is something every recruit can learn.  It's not something innate like physical size is.

My point is that when it's necessary, I want to know that the officer can do the job. That's my community at stake, and I don't think it's unfair to ask that the officer meets the bare minimum requirements.

What I require, however, is that it is truly the bare minimum requirements to do the job, not some arbitrary physical fitness scheme that has nothing to do with the job. In this particular case, it sounds as though most believe that it is actually what's necessary to do the job.

That being said, I also have no problem with two-tier police forces, either. Meet Physical Standards = street duty. Does Not Meet Physical Standards = desk duty.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on September 10, 2013, 01:01:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2013, 12:56:31 PM

My point is that when it's necessary, I want to know that the officer can do the job. That's my community at stake, and I don't think it's unfair to ask that the officer meets the bare minimum requirements.

What I require, however, is that it is truly the bare minimum requirements to do the job, not some arbitrary physical fitness scheme that has nothing to do with the job. In this particular case, it sounds as though most believe that it is actually what's necessary to do the job.

That being said, I also have no problem with two-tier police forces, either. Meet Physical Standards = street duty. Does Not Meet Physical Standards = desk duty.

But what are the "bare minimum requirements to do the job"?  As I mentioned, having female officers is a requirement for any modern police force.  But is it a "bare minimum requirement" to be able to dead lift a 200lb body?

There is a heavy movement to not have uniformed officers doing "desk duty".  Cops are paid a lot of money, and receive a lot of training.  They want uniformed officers on the street, and less highly paid civillian employees doing anything that could be considered "desk duty".

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2013, 01:14:29 PM

But what are the "bare minimum requirements to do the job"?  As I mentioned, having female officers is a requirement for any modern police force.  But is it a "bare minimum requirement" to be able to dead lift a 200lb body?

I presume that being able to lift a certain amount would be required. How much? I'm not sure. That would be something for the police to work out based on what they feel is most appropriate. It may be that having to heave a 200-pound person happens once a month. Well, then that's a requirement.

It's no different than saying that someone has to be able to work an adding machine at my job. I may only have to do it twice a month, but when it has to be done, I have to have the knowledge and capability to do so. Only, it's a lot more important when you're talking about police because people, things, and communities are directly affected by an officer not able to do their job. I want to know that I'm safe because the person behind the badge can do what's needs doing.

This whole idea that women can't be strong enough is ludicrous, anyway. It's HARDER for them to do it, but it's not impossible. Fireman-lifting a 200-pound body may be impossible for a 100-pound waif, but then she oughta' get her ass to the gym. If it's what she wants to do, then she's going to have to work for it, just like the guys did.

QuoteThere is a heavy movement to not have uniformed officers doing "desk duty".  Cops are paid a lot of money, and receive a lot of training.  They want uniformed officers on the street, and less highly paid civillian employees doing anything that could be considered "desk duty".

Okay.

CountDeMoney

But how often do those kinds of brawls happen?  Pretty infrequently or even rarely.  For 99% of their time, even 99.9% of their time, sheer physical strength isn't important.

Luckily for officers in urban departments, it's very rare to respond to an in-progress incident by yourself;  in cities like Baltimore, another sector car could be two blocks away and arrive at the same time.  But people would be surprised how much tussling you do in a week. 

QuoteAnd instead there are tremendous advantages to having a diverse police force.  From the purely practical (need female officers to search female prisoners), to investigative (a female officer may be much more likely to get the rape victim to talk).

Of course there's a need for a diverse police force;  it should represent the community it serves.  And I'm not making a blanket statement about all female officers;  I've know plenty that could bring a defensive end to tears very quickly, and the MSP has no problem with female troopers out in the middle of nowhere with backup a long 5 minutes away.  I just don't buy the article's premise from the critics that the physical exam is unjustly tilted towards strength.  In the end, it needs to be.

Granted, I did more running than brawling (and usually it was running back to the fucking car) but in the end you've still got to have the ass for the end of the chase, regardless of how much training you've got in DT.  Teen drug dealers and junkie shoplifters tend to get all squirmy and shit.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: merithyn on September 10, 2013, 01:42:23 PM

It's no different than saying that someone has to be able to work an adding machine at my job. I may only have to do it twice a month, but when it has to be done, I have to have the knowledge and capability to do so.
Adding machine? Do you work in an office from 1973?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

:huh:  Adding machines have big buttons and don't strain the eyes.  What do you want her to use?

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 10, 2013, 07:31:35 PM

It's no different than saying that someone has to be able to work an adding machine at my job. I may only have to do it twice a month, but when it has to be done, I have to have the knowledge and capability to do so.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 10, 2013, 07:31:35 PM

:yeahright:

I work in billing. What, exactly, should I be using to tally up accounts?

Quote from: garbon on September 10, 2013, 07:37:56 PM

Yeah, that looks a lot like mine, actually. :)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: merithyn on September 10, 2013, 07:43:02 PM
:yeahright:

I work in billing. What, exactly, should I be using to tally up accounts?

Yeah, that looks a lot like mine, actually. :)

Accounting software on a computer.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point