News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My new concealed carry gun

Started by Siege, August 30, 2013, 02:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

I bought a 9mm Ruger LC9 for concealed carry. I went with the LC9 instead of  the .380 cal Ruger LCP, which is smaller and easier to conceal, because it is easier for me to get 9mm rounds than .380.

So far the LC9 feels great for a little gun.
What I don't like:

1- Trigger. Too long and too heavy. The trigger breaks all the way back close to the grip, and at over 6 lbs of trigger preasure, is hard to squeeze it properly when doing fast multiple targets engagement drills.

2- Recoil. With a 3.5 in barrel and 17 onces of weight, the recoil is kind of brisk. It is not that bad, just a little harder to control in such an small gun as compared with a the heavier 9mm Beretta. My wife couldn't keep the LC9's nose down to reacquire the target quickly enough for follow-up shots. For me, once you get used to the short grip, with a proper shooter stance and grip, you can manage the recoil fast enough.

What I like:
1- Compact size. It is truly invisible. I bought an inside-pants holster for this little toy, and you can't see it in my waist

2- Accuracy. Despite the short barrel, which is unevitable in such an small pistol, it is very accurate within 25 meters. Do not try shooting beyond that. Keep in mind though, you have to apply your fundamentals. The small frame of this gun leaves no marging for error.
3- Sights. They are standard 3-dots open sights, and very easy to align with both eyes open, like you should do with all guns anyway.

Bottom line, I was surprised by the recoil, but it was to be expected in such a small gun. The safety is under frame, release-once kind of thing. Good enough for me, though Glock users might hate it. I think is a nice little gun for concealed carry. At 325 dollars, it is Siege Recommended (tm).

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Ah, the Ruger. A most excerrent gun. Squee. Mew.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Nice piece, brother.  I looked at one of those when I got mine.  Ended up going with a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm compact.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Pfft.  No rails for the goat accessory.

Siege

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2013, 02:17:35 PM
Pfft.  No rails for the goat accessory.

What, you need a laser for target acquisition within 25m?
Puss.

Siege

Quote from: Caliga on August 30, 2013, 02:10:12 PM
Nice piece, brother.  I looked at one of those when I got mine.  Ended up going with a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm compact.

What kind of holster did you get? On-belt, inside-pants, inside-pocket, under-arm?

Valmy

It makes me sad Marty is not around to see this thread  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Siege on August 30, 2013, 02:26:26 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 30, 2013, 02:10:12 PM

What kind of holster did you get? On-belt, inside-pants, inside-pocket, under-arm?

Cal? Holster? Ha.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

merithyn

No one else is terrified at the idea that Siege has a concealed carry permit? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on August 30, 2013, 02:51:43 PM
No one else is terrified at the idea that Siege has a concealed carry permit? :unsure:

I sleep better at night knowing that rough Jews stand guard.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Considering the heavy weaponry he had access to on the job, coupled with apparent expertise with firearms.  No.

merithyn

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 30, 2013, 02:53:42 PM

Considering the heavy weaponry he had access to on the job, coupled with apparent expertise with firearms.  No.

I'm assuming that on the job he doesn't drink. :contract:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tonitrus

He likely doesn't go about town drunk either.

Concealed permits would have no effect on his home arsenal.