News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cooperation Vs Competition In Your Workplace?

Started by mongers, August 28, 2013, 07:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you describe the degree of cooperation vs competition you experience in your workplace/career?

91-100% Cooperative
5 (33.3%)
81-90% Cooperative - 10-19% Competitive
2 (13.3%)
71-80% Cooperative - 20-29% Competitive
3 (20%)
61-70% Cooperative - 30-39% Competitive
1 (6.7%)
51-60% Cooperative - 40-49% Competitive
1 (6.7%)
50-59% Competitive - 41-50% Cooperative
1 (6.7%)
60-69% Competitive - 31-40% Cooperative
1 (6.7%)
70-79% Competitive - 21-30% Cooperative
0 (0%)
80-89% Competitive - 11-20% Cooperative
0 (0%)
90-100% Competitive - 0-10% Cooperative
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Admiral Yi

I'd say about 80/20 cooperative at my joint.

Whenever there's the possibility of promotion it's impossible to have 100% cooperation.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2013, 09:19:17 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 09:16:12 PM
100% cooperative

No reason to be competitive, and lots of benefit to cooperating. One of my favorite things about my place of employment.

You're still relatively new, and your tits aren't threatening enough yet.

Been there a year, and I work with all women. My tits won't threaten any of them. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 28, 2013, 09:17:59 PM
Ugh. The workplace should be like the bridge of a Klingon battle cruiser, with the underlings knifing their way to the top. And HR shooting everybody.

Nowhere to go in my department, so no need to knife anyone. The job is what it is, with no chance at going anywhere within the department. If someone is going to upgrade, they have to go elsewhere, which isn't a threat to anyone on the team.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

71-80% cooperative sounds about right for my current company.  When I worked in recruiting, I would flip that percentage exactly.  That company actively encouraged us to compete against one another. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Cal had an edge in the recruiting job, with his centurion outfit.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

It's hard to say in my job.  We're all very compartamentalized.  You have your own individual files and you work on them.  I rarely need to rely on my colleagues.

Now on the occasions you do need to rely on colleagues they have been very supportive.  BUt it is perhaps because of how infrequently you need to rely on others that we can be so generous.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Phillip V

I ranted against the bureaucracy this past Monday and warned my supervisor in front of everyone that he was going to "get screwed."

Today, he e-mailed me "You're right, this is sort of a lose-lose situation" and handed in his resignation. :ph34r:

Jacob

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

In my workplace the competitors for promotions etc. are not the people I directly work with but rather say someone in a similar position in a neighboring team or neighboring department. So there is competition, but you don't really know who you compete with and how to convince the decision-makers.
In my daily work it is 90% cooperation and 10% corporate bullshit. The latter is the stuff where you know a better way but you just want to make a point that the other guy didn't follow the process or so. ;)

Phillip V

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 09:20:16 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2013, 09:19:17 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 09:16:12 PM
100% cooperative

No reason to be competitive, and lots of benefit to cooperating. One of my favorite things about my place of employment.
You're still relatively new, and your tits aren't threatening enough yet.
Been there a year, and I work with all women. My tits won't threaten any of them. :P
Then you're really in for it.  At some point, somebody's going to do something that somebody doesn't like, and all of the sudden it's passive aggression time.

Chicks are terrible in the workplace.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.