News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cooperation Vs Competition In Your Workplace?

Started by mongers, August 28, 2013, 07:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you describe the degree of cooperation vs competition you experience in your workplace/career?

91-100% Cooperative
5 (33.3%)
81-90% Cooperative - 10-19% Competitive
2 (13.3%)
71-80% Cooperative - 20-29% Competitive
3 (20%)
61-70% Cooperative - 30-39% Competitive
1 (6.7%)
51-60% Cooperative - 40-49% Competitive
1 (6.7%)
50-59% Competitive - 41-50% Cooperative
1 (6.7%)
60-69% Competitive - 31-40% Cooperative
1 (6.7%)
70-79% Competitive - 21-30% Cooperative
0 (0%)
80-89% Competitive - 11-20% Cooperative
0 (0%)
90-100% Competitive - 0-10% Cooperative
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2013, 07:58:15 PM
Then you're really in for it.  At some point, somebody's going to do something that somebody doesn't like, and all of the sudden it's passive aggression time.

Chicks are terrible in the workplace.

Just to other chicks.  Either guys don't notice, or don't care.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on September 18, 2013, 07:17:47 PM
My promotion was announced tonight. :ph34r:

Good for you.  So how many positions do you get to eliminate as your first order of business?

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on August 29, 2013, 11:01:59 AM
That's... something Philip V.

More details?

Congrats! I think? :unsure:

If they were going to screw the other guy over, does that mean that now they're going to screw you over?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2013, 07:58:15 PM
Then you're really in for it.  At some point, somebody's going to do something that somebody doesn't like, and all of the sudden it's passive aggression time.

Chicks are terrible in the workplace.

Not in this department, thankfully. Eight women in the department, all but two of whom are introverted number geeks. We mostly just keep our heads down and get our work done.

Which means that management has decided to "fix" the enrollment side by "integrating" our two departments. The women in enrollment are high maintenance and high drama; the women in billing are about as low maintenance and low drama as possible. To fix the issue in enrollment (which has led to high turnover), they're going to inter-mingle our two departments, moving everyone to different cubicles, so that our "calmer" attitudes will help diffuse their more uptight ones.

Already, this is causing problems, as the bitches from enrollment are trying to push around the billing folks to get the "better" cubicles, and getting bitchy when the billing people don't give so easily. None of us believe that there's a "better" cubicle, but the pushiness grates on the whole team, so they're putting up a stone wall.

Of course... management sees all of this as a big ole' positive! :w00t:

:glare:

KRonn

I voted 81-90% Cooperative - 10-19% Competitive. My workplace is mostly cooperative, I'd say. There is some competitiveness as in any company when people have differing ideas and push for them but I think mainly that people try and learn more and do more to gain a promotion or just to be better at the job and able to resolve issues. I don't seem to see anything overt from other workers to try and advance at the expense of others or to cause harm. We probably need to be cooperative.  There are so many parts of the IT system from hardware to software of all types in a medical setting, serving doctors, nurses and other medical staff. So it seems that people I work with, for the most part, aren't competing with other workers, they're working together to keep the system working properly.

Phillip V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2013, 08:07:12 PM

Good for you.  So how many positions do you get to eliminate as your first order of business?

I work in and around government. My business is to add and bill as many jobs as I can to the taxpayer.

Phillip V

Quote from: merithyn on September 19, 2013, 08:14:05 AM
Quote from: Jacob on August 29, 2013, 11:01:59 AM
That's... something Philip V.

More details?

Congrats! I think? :unsure:

If they were going to screw the other guy over, does that mean that now they're going to screw you over?

Yes. But it is a constant game of screwing them before they screw you.

Hopefully I can semi-retire within 10 years.

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on September 19, 2013, 08:21:34 AM
Not in this department, thankfully. Eight women in the department, all but two of whom are introverted number geeks. We mostly just keep our heads down and get our work done.

Which means that management has decided to "fix" the enrollment side by "integrating" our two departments. The women in enrollment are high maintenance and high drama; the women in billing are about as low maintenance and low drama as possible. To fix the issue in enrollment (which has led to high turnover), they're going to inter-mingle our two departments, moving everyone to different cubicles, so that our "calmer" attitudes will help diffuse their more uptight ones.

Already, this is causing problems, as the bitches from enrollment are trying to push around the billing folks to get the "better" cubicles, and getting bitchy when the billing people don't give so easily. None of us believe that there's a "better" cubicle, but the pushiness grates on the whole team, so they're putting up a stone wall.

Of course... management sees all of this as a big ole' positive! :w00t:
My solution would be to decimate the enrollment department.  If that doesn't work, then get rid of the rest. :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2013, 12:54:58 PM
y solution would be to decimate the enrollment department.  If that doesn't work, then get rid of the rest. :)

Presumably the company wishes to have new clients though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2013, 12:54:58 PM
My solution would be to decimate the enrollment department.  If that doesn't work, then get rid of the rest. :)

That's not really necessary. Select one or two of the biggest mouths, and fire them. The rest will panic and shut the hell up. Ta-da!

But that requires real management, something my particular department lacks. How they are works for my team because we don't really need much by way of management. For the rest of the department, however, it's essential. Instead, they hire based on cronyism and nepotism, and then wonder why no one gets anything done and why there's always drama.

No matter. I can keep my head down no matter where I sit. I am: Practiced. :)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.