News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cooperation Vs Competition In Your Workplace?

Started by mongers, August 28, 2013, 07:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you describe the degree of cooperation vs competition you experience in your workplace/career?

91-100% Cooperative
5 (33.3%)
81-90% Cooperative - 10-19% Competitive
2 (13.3%)
71-80% Cooperative - 20-29% Competitive
3 (20%)
61-70% Cooperative - 30-39% Competitive
1 (6.7%)
51-60% Cooperative - 40-49% Competitive
1 (6.7%)
50-59% Competitive - 41-50% Cooperative
1 (6.7%)
60-69% Competitive - 31-40% Cooperative
1 (6.7%)
70-79% Competitive - 21-30% Cooperative
0 (0%)
80-89% Competitive - 11-20% Cooperative
0 (0%)
90-100% Competitive - 0-10% Cooperative
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

mongers

What's split between cooperation and competition with your fellow colleagues do experience within your workplace ?

At one extreme image a job were your lives routinely depends on the cooperation between your colleagues in the job. At the other end of the continuum is a career where succeeding/getting ahead depends entirely on doing better that or beating your workplace rivals. 

What percentage breakdown best describes what you encounter ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Phillip V

My career is dependent on the bureaucracy/system; not peers.

mongers

Quote from: Phillip V on August 28, 2013, 07:42:00 PM
My career is dependent on the bureaucracy/system; not peers.

Which doesn't answer the question.

dps

In my experience, a lot of people in the workplace are neither competing nor cooperating--they're just taking up space and drawing a paycheck.  And there are some who deliberately fucking things up, not to compete with anyone, but just for the "fun" of causing problems.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Always depended on the place, Mongers.  Different organizational cultures all have their unique dysfunctions.

All the talk about law enforcement as a "brotherhood", where everybody has each others' back, is TV and funeral eulogy bullshit.  Between the incompetent and the lazy and the dangerous, there's only a handful of people you can ever rely on--and that includes your supervision--and you just hope they're working that day.  And if you're a civilian, doesn't matter about your competencies or your role, you're still a 2nd-class citizen because you don't have the Junior G-Man Secret Decoder Ring.  REUTERS WHO IS HE

In the performance-driven environment of my last job, where extra incentives over your target performance bonus were unequally distributed from the same limited bucket of cash given to the department, I'd never seen so much sabotage, passive-aggressiveness and backstabbing in my entire life, it would put high school girls to shame.  From August to roughly February,  during the ramp up to performance evaluation time and because your extra bonus amount depended on how much less someone elses' was, it was look the fuck out for the kneecapping, even from people who weren't in your lane.

Academia and healthcare didn't seem so bad from the cooperation perspective.  As long as you knew your place in the caste system vis à vis academic/professional pedigree, you could always get things done with anybody.

Bail bonds was an entirely different story.

Ed Anger

I loved the cubicle cliques. SHUN THE NEXT CUBICLE! UNCLEAN!

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2013, 08:46:40 PM
Always depended on the place, Mongers.  Different organizational cultures all have their unique dysfunctions.

All the talk about law enforcement as a "brotherhood", where everybody has each others' back, is TV and funeral eulogy bullshit.  Between the incompetent and the lazy and the dangerous, there's only a handful of people you can ever rely on--and that includes your supervision--and you just hope they're working that day.  And if you're a civilian, doesn't matter about your competencies or your role, you're still a 2nd-class citizen because you don't have the Junior G-Man Secret Decoder Ring.  REUTERS WHO IS HE

In the performance-driven environment of my last job, where extra incentives over your target performance bonus were unequally distributed from the same limited bucket of cash given to the department, I'd never seen so much sabotage, passive-aggressiveness and backstabbing in my entire life, it would put high school girls to shame.  From August to roughly February,  during the ramp up to performance evaluation time and because your extra bonus amount depended on how much less someone elses' was, it was look the fuck out for the kneecapping, even from people who weren't in your lane.

Academia and healthcare didn't seem so bad from the cooperation perspective.  As long as you knew your place in the caste system vis à vis academic/professional pedigree, you could always get things done with anybody.

Bail bonds was an entirely different story.

Interesting anecdotes.  :cool:

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

merithyn

100% cooperative

No reason to be competitive, and lots of benefit to cooperating. One of my favorite things about my place of employment.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Ugh. The workplace should be like the bridge of a Klingon battle cruiser, with the underlings knifing their way to the top. And HR shooting everybody.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 09:16:12 PM
100% cooperative

No reason to be competitive, and lots of benefit to cooperating. One of my favorite things about my place of employment.

You're still relatively new, and your tits aren't threatening enough yet.