And we're back!

Main Menu

IQ Estimates by College Major

Started by merithyn, August 27, 2013, 03:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2013, 04:36:50 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 27, 2013, 04:35:25 PM
I think I went to like 3 of the lectures and did maybe 25% of the reading. :sleep:

:blink: Why...would...you....

I just do not get people who pay shitloads to take a class and never show up.

For the credits.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Iormlund

Listed average IQs seem awfully high, unless we're talking elite institutions only.

PDH

I hate Education Majors.

I get a boatload in my class because it is an intro class in History...but goddamn they are awful.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 27, 2013, 04:35:13 PM
I've met a bunch of people who are getting doctorates in communications at Iowa.  :wacko:

Seriously, a PhD on how to write a press release?

I'd like to know what that's all about, too.  That seems to be a bit...excessive.

QuoteWackiestest has got to be a PhD progam on books and printing or somesuch. From what I've been told it seems like they write dissertations on fonts, bindings, and paper stock.

It's a dying art.  Somebody has to pass on the knowledge.

Savonarola

Quote from: Iormlund on August 27, 2013, 05:13:53 PM
Listed average IQs seem awfully high, unless we're talking elite institutions only.

It would make more sense if it is the Graduate Record Exam (as it says in the title) rather than the SAT.  A much smaller population would take the GRE and the verbal score runs much lower then the quantitative.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 27, 2013, 04:35:13 PM

Wackiestest has got to be a PhD progam on books and printing or somesuch. From what I've been told it seems like they write dissertations on fonts, bindings, and paper stock.

I'd love to get into a book restoration program. There are very few programs in the world anymore who teach it, which means that a lot of ancient books are in danger. Restoration is very much an artform, especially for book bindings older than the 1800s.

On top of that, the PhD would be incredibly useful for identifying old books versus forgeries. There's pretty good money in that, from what I've heard, though, of course, it's not regular pay.

Books... :wub: 
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on August 27, 2013, 03:39:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2013, 03:31:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2013, 03:29:04 PM
Pffft CC caved so easily.

Yeah, its like she went out of her way to post something stupid to get me. :(
:console:

You know, you both have the option to just not respond to anything that I write. Really and truly. It's okay. I promise that I won't miss you. In fact, I'm guessing it would be a kindness to many if you didn't.

merithyn

garbon

Actually, I indulged in going to my favorite used bookstore in sf. Only ended up with 4 as I put several back. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 03:29:15 PM
And I like how maths sounds. :bowler:

Please, just don't.  I can tolerate, even embrace other Britishisms, but Americans saying "maths" is like nails on a chalkboard.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2013, 07:43:50 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 03:29:15 PM
And I like how maths sounds. :bowler:

Please, just don't.  I can tolerate, even embrace other Britishisms, but Americans saying "maths" is like nails on a chalkboard.

:unsure:

Well... you ask so little... I suppose that I can... just for you. :)

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Why is it many maths but only one science?

merithyn