And we're back!

Main Menu

IQ Estimates by College Major

Started by merithyn, August 27, 2013, 03:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 27, 2013, 04:15:20 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 03:21:24 PM
The discussion on intelligence in the other thread got me wondering about which majors fell in the top range for intelligence. Blah blah blah

I have nothing regarding this topic, I just want to ask, what thread was this? I hope not the 44 page 25 year old and in debt thread I have so far ignored.

153 pages and yes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Holy crap, is the thread really that long?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 27, 2013, 04:20:41 PM
Holy crap, is the thread really that long?

Has the economy structurally changed?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 04:11:40 PM
The interesting thing, though, is that a borderline-retarded verbal score can evidently put you right in the middle of any field of study.

No shit.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2013, 03:55:28 PM
When I went to Marshall <shudder> if you'd ask the dumbest person in whatever class I was in what their major was, they'd always reply, "Bizness".

Things have changed since Marshall's business school made some improvements, but for some reason that still sticks in my head & makes me chuckle.
The dumbest people at Boston U were always Communications majors, which is interesting since it's supposedly got one of the best Communication schools in the country. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Ooooo, dumb college graduates. I once had some sports management donk apply for a supply chain position.

Kid was a moron. Nice guy, but a moron.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

I've met a bunch of people who are getting doctorates in communications at Iowa.  :wacko:

Seriously, a PhD on how to write a press release?

Wackiestest has got to be a PhD progam on books and printing or somesuch. From what I've been told it seems like they write dissertations on fonts, bindings, and paper stock.

Caliga

About half of my freshmen floormates were Comm majors.  For some reason they all had to take International Relations 101.  All I heard all semester was "ZOMG THIS CLASS IS SO HARED!!!!!"
The next year I took the same class with the same professor and sleepwalked my way through it and got an A.  I think I went to like 3 of the lectures and did maybe 25% of the reading. :sleep:

DGuller

Quote from: Savonarola on August 27, 2013, 03:52:12 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 27, 2013, 03:39:02 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 27, 2013, 03:33:44 PM
Also the Standard Deviation is suspiciously small.
:huh: How big should it be?
Big enough to touch the ground.

Assuming a Normal Distribution 99.7% of all people in the same major would have to be within 4.8 points on the SAT for .8 to be an accurate σ.
I think that's not what it means.  I think this is the standard deviation of the estimate of the average.  It's basically margin of error divided by 1.96.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 27, 2013, 04:35:25 PM
I think I went to like 3 of the lectures and did maybe 25% of the reading. :sleep:

:blink: Why...would...you....

I just do not get people who pay shitloads to take a class and never show up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Dude, it was BORING.  It was shit I already knew!  How is listening to a lecture about stuff I already know a good use of my time?

You know what would have been a good use of my time though?  Offering to tutor the multitude of hot, yet dim, female Communication majors who couldn't hack that class. :Embarrass:

Caliga

:hmm: I just remembered something.  There were also lots of dumb Education majors there. :)

Admiral Yi

Was Captain Hook president when you went there Cal?

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 27, 2013, 04:40:54 PM
Was Captain Hook president when you went there Cal?
:lol:

Yep, and I liked him, other than his puritanical overnight guest policies.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on August 27, 2013, 04:39:59 PM
:hmm: I just remembered something.  There were also lots of dumb Education majors there. :)

Always cracked me up to find out that some of our dumbest teachers in junior high & high school had Masters in Education from Marshall.  Marshall was supposedly reputed to be one of the better teaching schools, but looking back that must of just been a local urban legend.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall