News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

IQ Estimates by College Major

Started by merithyn, August 27, 2013, 03:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

The discussion on intelligence in the other thread got me wondering about which majors fell in the top range for intelligence. I knew that the Engineering, Maths, and Sciences would be at the top. What surprised me was the humanity majors that were also in the top. I mean, seriously? Philosophy as number two? :blink: And I was pretty surprised that Computer & Information Sciences weren't in the top 10.

I only posted the top 20, but you can go here to see the rest of them. Link

DISCLAIMER: I know nothing about the website or how accurate their claims are. I thought it would be a good starting point for a discussion, nonetheless.

QuoteGraduate Record Examination Scores
Standard Deviation +/- 0.80
                                       Verbal SAT Quant SAT Average SAT Average IQ
Physics & Astronomy          533             736               1269          133
Philosophy                          590             638               1228          129
Mathematical Sciences        502             733               1235          130
Materials Engineering         494              727              1221          129
Economics                           503              706              1209          128
Chemical Engineering          485              726              1211          128
Other Engineering               493              714              1207          128
Mechanical Engineering       469              724              1193          126
Other Humanities & Art       563               599              1162          124
Physical Sciences                486               697              1183          125
Engineering                        468               719              1187          126
Electrical Engineering         459                726             1185          126
Banking & finance               467                711             1178         125
Chemistry                           486                680             1166         124
Computer &
Information Science           466                 701             1167          124
Civil Engineering                457                 700             1157          124
Religion & Theory               541                 589             1130          121
Industrial Engineering       440                 707              1147         123
Earth, Atmos &
Mar. Science                      495                  636              1131         121
English Language &
Literature                          560                  553              1113         120
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

I thought only old people like me had only two SAT catagories and the kids these days have scores like 1935.

And did you seriously type 'maths'?  :bowler:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Religion & Theory? They don't mix, do they?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 03:21:24 PM
And I was pretty surprised that Computer & Information Sciences weren't in the top 10.

Get rid of all the engineering subdivisions and it squeaks in.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Philosophy as number two? :blink:

Ok, I have to break my rule and respond.  Really? You wonder why people who engage in critical thought are smart?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2013, 03:25:53 PM
I thought only old people like me had only two SAT catagories and the kids these days have scores like 1935.

And did you seriously type 'maths'?  :bowler:

Dunno. I haven't taken the SAT in 25 years. No idea how they do them now.

And I like how maths sounds. :bowler:

Maximus

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2013, 03:28:41 PM
Philosophy as number two? :blink:

Ok, I have to break my rule and respond.  Really? You wonder why people who engage in critical thought are smart?

Philosophy is indeed number two.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2013, 03:28:41 PM

Damn, that was quick.

I say that because the people I knew who went into philosophy usually did so after dropping out of business or education or something like that. I loved the philosophy classes that I took, but they didn't seem overtly challenging. Of course, I wasn't taking 300 or 400 level classes either. *shrugs*

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2013, 03:29:04 PM
Pffft CC caved so easily.

Yeah, its like she went out of her way to post something stupid to get me. :(

merithyn

Maximus

Savonarola

It's curious that the title lists Graduate Record Examination Scores, and then lists SAT scores rather than GRE.

Also the Standard Deviation is suspiciously small.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on August 27, 2013, 03:33:44 PM
It's curious that the title lists Graduate Record Examination Scores, and then lists SAT scores rather than GRE.

Ok if it is GRE scores that would make better sense.