News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

IQ Estimates by College Major

Started by merithyn, August 27, 2013, 03:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

We had the exact same thing, except ACT scores, a while back.

DGuller

Quote from: Savonarola on August 27, 2013, 03:33:44 PM
Also the Standard Deviation is suspiciously small.
:huh: How big should it be?

DGuller

Savonarola

Quote from: DGuller on August 27, 2013, 03:39:02 PM
Big enough to touch the ground.

Assuming a Normal Distribution 99.7% of all people in the same major would have to be within 4.8 points on the SAT for .8 to be an accurate σ.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

When I went to Marshall <shudder> if you'd ask the dumbest person in whatever class I was in what their major was, they'd always reply, "Bizness".

Things have changed since Marshall's business school made some improvements, but for some reason that still sticks in my head & makes me chuckle.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2013, 03:55:28 PM
When I went to Marshall <shudder> if you'd ask the dumbest person in whatever class I was in what their major was, they'd always reply, "Bizness".

Things have changed since Marshall's business school made some improvements, but for some reason that still sticks in my head & makes me chuckle.

Wow the dumbest person at Marshall?  Amazed they could breathe oxygen.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on August 27, 2013, 03:52:12 PM
Assuming a Normal Distribution 99.7% of all people in the same major would have to be within 4.8 points on the SAT for .8 to be an accurate σ.

Too many English majors at ETS.

They must have meant the confidence interval for the population means, no?

Subtopic: bizness is the euphemism the Mafia uses, bidness is what negroes say.

MadBurgerMaker

Also rednecks and whatever that super old, super white professor of mine was.  "Bidness"  I thought it was funny, at least for a little while.  Then it was just bidness.

Ideologue

Iirc philosophy as is usually taught is more like logical construction and argument, thus akin to mathematics.  So theoretically useful if unfortunately lumped together with lame stuff like how, say, Democritus' made-up fantasy universe vaguely resembled actual science done with experimentation, measurement, and intellectual rigor.

Anyway, I was a bit surprised to see that engineering average falls into the stupid range, but of course they make up for barely being able to speak English in being good at math.  ("Stupid" is defined as any SAT score equal to or below my own.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

The interesting thing, though, is that a borderline-retarded verbal score can evidently put you right in the middle of any field of study.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 04:08:17 PM
Anyway, I was a bit surprised to see that engineering average falls into the stupid range, but of course they make up for barely being able to speak English in being good at math.  ("Stupid" is defined as any SAT score equal to or below my own.)

It's like blind people having superior hearing.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

lustindarkness

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 03:21:24 PM
The discussion on intelligence in the other thread got me wondering about which majors fell in the top range for intelligence. Blah blah blah

I have nothing regarding this topic, I just want to ask, what thread was this? I hope not the 44 page 25 year old and in debt thread I have so far ignored.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2013, 03:59:37 PM
Wow the dumbest person at Marshall?  Amazed they could breathe oxygen.

You have no idea.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on August 27, 2013, 03:52:12 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 27, 2013, 03:39:02 PM
Big enough to touch the ground.

SEE FUCKING MATH YEAH.
Kinemalogue