News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Book suggestions on the Frankish empire.

Started by Razgovory, August 22, 2013, 08:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've been playing a lot of Crusader Kings II and have become curious on history of the Carolingian the states they set up?  Any one know some good books on the time period of Charlemagne and his successors?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Not the main focus but the INhertance of Rome has several hundred pages on the Carolingians.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Berkut seems to typify what you're after.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Christopher Lee tells the story of Charlemagne in song. You might want to check it out.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 23, 2013, 12:45:09 AM
:punk:

Tim, your taint ability only works one way.

So Tainted+TimmayTaint=Excellent    :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

It seems hard to get books both on this and on the Diadokhoi even though both of those eras were not only badass but really important for what followed.  Strange.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

http://www.amazon.com/Debating-Middle-Ages-Issues-Readings/dp/1577180089
Covers part of the period, order it used in paperback

http://www.amazon.com/Feudal-Transformation-900-1200-Europe-Present/dp/0841911673/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377268518&sr=1-1&keywords=feudal+transformation
Classic work, a bit academic, really covers the breakdown of the Carolingian system and what came after.

http://www.amazon.com/Serf-Knight-Historian-Dominique-Barth%C3%A9lemy/dp/0801475600/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377268875&sr=1-3&keywords=dominique+barthelemy
Again focus is on the period of the Carolingian breakdown.

Sorry couldn't be more helpful, my interest has been more in the periods preceding and following the Carolingian empire.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2013, 09:26:51 AM
It seems hard to get books both on this and on the Diadokhoi even though both of those eras were not only badass but really important for what followed.  Strange.

The problem with the wars of the successors is that they were fractially complex.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Almost forgot:
Julia Smith's, Europe After Rome   http://www.amazon.com/Europe-after-Rome-Cultural-500-1000/dp/0192892630/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1377287250&sr=8-3&keywords=julia+smith
Broader coverage than your are looking for and a quirky book, but an interesting take on the Carolingians.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

I don't know if there are any books on Oscar Meyer.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

What are the ref tags for minsky? You have a side gig?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers