Apple patents technology to disable phone features at "sensitive events"

Started by Syt, September 04, 2013, 08:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://guardianlv.com/2013/08/apple-to-block-phone-features-at-sensitive-events/

QuoteApple to Block Phone Features at 'Sensitive Events'

Almost everyone has a cell phone these days and more and more people carry a smartphone of some type, including the increasingly popular Apple i-Phone. You can do so many things with your phone, it feels like a new found form of freedom never before experienced, right? Well, don't hold your breath. It seems that Apple has just patented a new piece of technology which would allow certain phone features to be blocked at what they term 'sensitive events.' What are these events?

For now, Apple Inc. says the feature is largely being implemented for use during rock concerts, cinemas, theaters and similar venues, though admits "covert police or government operations may require complete 'blackout' conditions."
What? I'm sorry, did they just say police or government operations? Yes. They did. It seems that it is far too easy for someone to video record police brutality, protesting events and the like that now the government has found a way to see that these things are not able to be documented.

Apple Inc. continues: "Additionally, the wireless transmission of sensitive information to a remote source is one example of a threat to security. This sensitive information could be anything from classified government information to questions or answers to an examination administered in an academic setting." It sounds like a restriction to the freedom of speech to me.

Apple has the means, with this patent, to transmit an encoded signal to all participating wireless devices to disable certain video and recording features.  Though Apple has created the technology, it would not be their decision to 'turn on' the disabling signal – no, that would be up to certain businesses, government agencies, network agencies, police and the like.  The patent explains:

As wireless devices such as cellular telephones, pagers, personal media devices and smartphones become ubiquitous, more and more people are carrying these devices in various social and professional settings. The result is that these wireless devices can often annoy, frustrate, and even threaten people in sensitive venues.

So far the patent has listed the following 'sensitive' events as being vulnerable to the blocking feature: presentation of movies, religious ceremonies, weddings, funerals, academic lectures, and test-taking environments.  So, don't plan on taping your cousins wedding with your i-Phone anymore.  It's potentially too dangerous to the bride for such information to be available to the general public.  And forget the last words spoken at your grandfather's funeral, as they could be a breach to public safety.  Your son's bar mitzvah, your granddaughter's baptism, the time your husband first speaks to his college peers, all too sensitive as well.

Apple has already taken steps toward your i-phone being disabled at determined 'sensitive events' with their new blocking feature.  These events are not publicly determined, but privately and governmentally determined.  Is this another infringement on personal rights?  Is this more evidence of an impending 'police state' -which some would say we are already experiencing?  Will this feature take freedoms out of the hands of the citizens to be able to report illegal activity?  How does this make you feel about your i-Phone?  Will other smartphone companies follow suit?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

:unsure:

Makes me all the more happy that I bought a Nokia Windows phone to replace my iPhone. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

Da Fuck  :huh: so, concert organisers will be able to get a kill switch from Apple to all the iphones in the crowd? Not to mention the police before kicking a hippy`s ass? Wow.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

My guess is that there'll be a push by law and order politicians to make this feature mandatory at some point, because "Why would you want to give terrorists/criminals any advantage in a hostile situation?"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

More garbage journalism at work.

QuoteFor now, Apple Inc. says the feature is largely being implemented for use during rock concerts, cinemas, theaters and similar venues, though admits "covert police or government operations may require complete 'blackout' conditions." What?

Yeah, what?
Apple "is saying" nothing of the sort.

What is being quoted here is a patent application that was filed 5 years ago, and was published almost 4 years ago.
It is language in a patent application, nothing more.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 04, 2013, 08:43:39 AM
More garbage journalism at work.

QuoteFor now, Apple Inc. says the feature is largely being implemented for use during rock concerts, cinemas, theaters and similar venues, though admits "covert police or government operations may require complete 'blackout' conditions." What?

Yeah, what?
Apple "is saying" nothing of the sort.

What is being quoted here is a patent application that was filed 5 years ago, and was published almost 4 years ago.
It is language in a patent application, nothing more.

I'm still glad that I got rid of my iPhone. :P

;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on September 04, 2013, 08:34:22 AM
My guess is that there'll be a push by law and order politicians to make this feature mandatory at some point, because "Why would you want to give terrorists/criminals any advantage in a hostile situation?"

That could happen, in which case Apple would stand to earn some licensing revenue and having a non-iphone would not protect anyone.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 04, 2013, 08:52:33 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 04, 2013, 08:34:22 AM

That could happen, in which case Apple would stand to earn some licensing revenue and having a non-iphone would not protect anyone.

Old phone?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.