Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

You go to war with the Congress you have, not the one you wish you had.

Legbiter

On the other hand if he's at best lukewarm about beating Assad up putting this in front of Congress might be smart. If he dosen't get approval, he can say he tried. If he does get it, then he spreads responsibility for the outcome if things don't go well.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2013, 01:58:37 PM
It's a mistake to ask this congress.  He'll give them a platform and they'll go on about Benghazi, Obamacare, and Fast and Furious.  You'll never get them to shut up.

They'll just attach an amendment to it prohibiting Federal funding of the Affordable Care Act.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Legbiter on August 31, 2013, 02:02:39 PM
On the other hand if he's at best lukewarm about beating Assad up putting this in front of Congress might be smart. If he dosen't get approval, he can say he tried. If he does get it, then he spreads responsibility for the outcome if things don't go well.

I don't think he's capable of such cynical political maneuvering; I honestly think he sincerely believes that if he tries long enough and hard enough, he can actually work with people who hate his fucking guts.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Is this a non-binding "sense of the Senate" vote, or formal WPA authorization?

DGuller

I think Obama is hoping that Congress weasels him out of the commitment, with a side benefit making his opposition look like traitors.

Savonarola

If you were a senator what would you do; vote for authorization and then claim you were lied to if things go wrong or vote against and then say "I told you so," if things go wrong?

If you want to run for president I think you have to do the latter.  No one will remember if this only lasts an hour or two, and if it does fall apart you'll be a genius.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

Quote from: DGuller on August 31, 2013, 02:42:14 PM
I think Obama is hoping that Congress weasels him out of the commitment, with a side benefit making his opposition look like traitors.

Or making it look like they're into hugging children with chemical weapons.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on August 31, 2013, 03:16:19 PM
If you were a senator what would you do; vote for authorization and then claim you were lied to if things go wrong or vote against and then say "I told you so," if things go wrong?

If you want to run for president I think you have to do the latter.  No one will remember if this only lasts an hour or two, and if it does fall apart you'll be a genius.

I would vote against, on the grounds that it doesn't advance US interests, and that if gas is an international war crime the response should be international, not two guys.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2013, 03:40:45 PM
I would vote against, on the grounds that it doesn't advance US interests, and that if gas is an international war crime the response should be international, not two guys.

I said if you were a senator not a principled person; the two terms are antonyms.

;)

(Edit: I didn't intend to make the above statement sound as though I thought Yi was unprincipled; just senators...)

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2013, 03:45:55 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 31, 2013, 03:42:48 PM
I think I owe Yi 6 quatloos.

If you're imaginary hard up right now I can imaginary let it slide.

Nah, I will pay it from my imaginary quatloos safe.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on August 31, 2013, 03:46:57 PM
I said if you were a senator not a principled person; the two terms are antonyms.

If I was guided only by political calculations I would probably vote for.

As I said earlier to Grallon

(

G.)

the odds of quagmirification are zero.  International and domestic professional bitches could bitch about advancing jihadism or taking sides or whatever, but they'll bitch regardless of what we do or don't do.  I think punishing use of chemical weapons is a very easy sell on the campaign trail.